Friday, June 6, 2008

That Not So Fresh Feeling

Summer has arrived. Dammit. I do not celebrate the return of summer weather. I hate the heat, I hate the sun, I hate the humidity most of all. And all of the sudden, today it's summer. I went outside at 6:30 this morning and it was already (or perhaps I should say still) 75 degrees, with about a million percent humidity, give or take a thousand percentage points or so. There was absolutely no morning freshness to the air. It's just gross.

You know how really geeky people are fond of responding to complaints about the Arizona heat with "Well, at least it's a dry heat! Har har har." Maybe you're not familiar with it, seeing as how you probably didn't grow up in Arizona. But let me just tell you, as someone who has experienced both the punishing dry heat of the desert and the disgusting humid heat of the northeast, I'd take the desert heat any damn day.

Of course, we always had air conditioning there, which might have had something to do with making it more bearable, but still. Humidity is my enemy. It makes everything smell, it makes my skin feel clammy, it makes it hard to breathe, it makes my Q-Tips all bendy, it makes me look like Janis Joplin. Humidity is a curse to curly-haired people. I just resign myself to looking like ass for three months.

So basically, in the summer I turn into a cranky, whiny bitch. You have a lot to look forward to on this blog in the coming months. But it could be worse. You could be married to me and have to listen to my whining live and in color.

Update: After posting this, I went to work in the garden, both because I am a glutton for punishment and because it had rained and the weeds were threatening to stage a coup and take over. It was hot and nasty enough as I thinned and hoed the corn, planted a couple of things, and started hoeing the potato field. But at least it was overcast. Then the sun came out while I was in the middle of the potato hoeing. Whereupon I promptly melted into a puddle, thereby providing the potatoes with life-giving water while I perished in a flood of sweat.

7 comments:

SaraPMcC said...

But can you sing like Janis?

It's pouring here today. And there's thunder and lightening. And then tomorrow it will be at least 90 degrees. Should I be thankful that I don't have curly hair? The humidity just makes my hair straighter and more limp.

SaraPMcC said...

Hee! You said you're out hoeing in a potato field!

It's me said...

I also hate humidity. But and summer heat. EXCEPT... my tomatoes got hit by a light frost last night. Frost!!!! It's JUNE already. Aaargh.

And we're a dry heat where I'm at too, except being high desert we get 40 degree nights and 80 (maybe 90) degree days. So it's not as bad.

I don't envy you the humidity. Yuck.

It's me said...

I agree with Sarapmcc's unasked question. Wouldn't hoeing be more effective on a street corner?

I'm just askin'...

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I am so not looking forward to this 90 degrees weather. Yikes!

moi said...

Yum - liquidated Kristin as fertilizer....I hear you on the humidity. I also look like a poodle that stuck a paw in a light socket....

MsPicketToYou said...

away from house and typing on phone. Hotter than he'll here and despite the mom and sisters and fun, what am I thinking about? Not the kids but how the garden has taken such a cold/rain/hot beating. And also how this heat reminds me why I abandon the whole thing come august.