Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Suspense Is KILLING You, Right?

I know that y'all will never be able to enjoy your nice long weekend unless you can answer that burning question, "WHAT is the meaning of that perplexing photo Kristin posted today? I MUST KNOW!"

Relax--I'm getting there.

Cheese might have been my favorite guess, though I can't laugh, because you do indeed make cheese by draining milk curds. Sort of like in the photo. Except not PURPLE. Ew. So, not cheese. Though good try, Jive Turkey and Sara.

Leslie, despite her obvious lack of confidence in her guess, got everyone on the right track. Drew nailed the fruit. Constant C (I know your REAL identity, mystery woman) got a little off track by guessing jelly, though I could have made jelly I suppose. But you forget, I am lazy. And then YD totally got it! Juicing mulberries is indeed what I have been, am, and forever will be doing.

That's a length of muslin in which crushed and boiled mulberries have been tied up and hoisted to drip all their juice out. And the juice is all I'm going for. It is so, so good. Juicing like that is indeed the first step to make jelly (as opposed to jam, which has fruit chunks in it), but we have quite enough jam. And I love the juice. I even made up a delightful cocktail featuring gin, mulberry juice, and seltzer. It's called the Bo Peep. Geddit? Because I chase sheep all the time? Oh, never mind. The MiL pronounced it vile, but she likes Campari, so you can't trust her.

Now Meadowlark's guess was interesting. What is a "mulberry tonic," do you think? I would totally make it if I thought it was worthwhile, because it's not like I have a shortage of berries or anything. They've been raining down for almost two weeks now, with no slow-up in sight. And I'm dealing with berries every single day because I am gathering no less than 4 quarts daily, all of which must be used right away, as mulberries are very perishable. Damn berries indeed, Krysta.

So there, be off with you. Have a glorious Fourth, blow some shit up, drink, carouse, and generally have a good time.

Peace out.

5 comments:

It's me said...

According to the Google translation of a Chinese medicine page:

The benefits mulberry fruit can make for modern urbanites:

1. Preventing angiosclerosis. It acts out functions such as decomposing redundant fats, (redundant... as in, my thighs AND my butt?) lowering blood lipid , and preventing angiosclerosis

2. Mulberry fruit contains nutritive substances like tannic acid , fatty acid, (fat again. stop saying that word) malic acid, thus it helps the digestion of fat, (I'm drinking more if it gets rid of fat), protein and amylum . Therefore it has the benefits of strengthening the spleen and stomach, aiding digestion,and it can also heal diarrhea caused by indigestion. (wait... see #6. So which is it?)

3. Mulberry contains 18 kinds of essential amino acids for human body, 7 kinds of vitamins and various mineral substances and carbohydrate carotene and human microelements. (So do fruit loops, apparently) It can effectively supply nutrition needed body, and its tonic but not too much calory .

4. Mulberry does not only contains large amount of essential nutrition substances, it also contains hair blackener, which can make your hair black and shiny, thus it’s also for beautification. (Blondes, do NOT try this at home)

5、The {something something something illegible} in mulberry fruit, all has a efficacy of preventing the diffusion of tumor cells and the occurrence cancer.

6. The special substances in mulberry fruit is capable of looseing the bowel to relieve constipation . Therefore it can make the elimination of toxicant and beautification. (yeah, 'cause I know a loose bowel makes ME beautiful. And besides, #2 says it STOPS diarrhea. I mean, what is this, the wonder fruit?)

7. Thanks to the resveratrol contained in mulberry,it can help you body fight against senium. (What is senium? Do I have it?)

As you can see, Granny Kristin's tonic will be sold world-wide.

Skoal!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

HAHAHAHA! That's very thorough. And also very garbled. English as a second language, anyone?

I must confess I was a little confused by the "Skoal." I was wondering why you would invoke a particularly disgusting (or so I'm told) brand of chewing tobacco. But Google rescued me from my ignorance. "Skoal" is a Norwegian (?) toast, like "cheers." Everyone can try to use it this weekend. And thank Meadowlark for educating us all, children.

You all want my mulberries now, don't you?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

"Have a glorious Fourth, blow some shit up, drink, carouse, and generally have a good time."

And be quite sure to do them in that order. It's unwise to drink first, then attempt to blow some shit up while carousing. Or so I've heard.

SaraPMcC said...

"(redundant... as in, my thighs AND my butt?)"

HIGH-LARIOUS!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I won, I won, I won!!!

How about some mulberries cordial? I made some black raspberry cordial on Friday. Will have to wait a few months before I can try some.