Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike's Leftovers

OH MY GOD, I'M LATE POSTING. The world is going to end. You all know I'm not late. Ever. For anything. And I know that all of you log on at the crack of dawn, ready for another installment of life on the funny farm. I'm sure you've been frantically hitting "refresh" since 7 a.m., biting your nails and worrying that something catastrophic has befallen me. Have no fear, duckies. It was just that bastard Ike.

The last blustery remnants of the hurricane blew through here last night. It actually blew for hours, taking down some fairly large tree limbs and knocking out the power. It sounded like a freight train. And A. slept right through it. But there was no serious damage. I spent the first part of the morning outside, picking up branches and walnuts, waiting for the power to come back on. Which it did. And now here I am! No cause for worry at all!

Oddly, nothing in the garden was knocked down by the winds. Not even the 7-foot bean poles or any of the overly-laden, precariously leaning tomato plants. Which means there should be plenty more tomatoes for me to pick for canning today. What a relief. I was worried for a minute there that Ike would result in a tomato shortage. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I should have known Ike was no match for the tomatoes.

And yes, all you get today is a post about why I'm late posting. Blame Ike. And tune in tomorrow for a real post.

7 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

In which I hate on Kristin ...

I've got six meager little pepper plants out next to the driveway. No, that's not true. Two of them are meager and the other four of them are huge leafy monstrosities with no fruit on them!

I can't do a garden in the back yard because the kids like to play there. So this little plot between my driveway and the neighbor's house is all I've got.

And only one of the little bastards has anything larger than a pea. It's got two reasonble-sized peppers on it, that I've been hoping would go red and sweet before the killing frost.

And guess what blew down last night?

Yep, that and the four new mums that my wife just planted last week. We're realy freakin' happy about that.

It's me said...

Kristin, your tomatoes seem a bit, um, otherwordly in their ability to thrive and, er, take over. Where exactly did you get those seeds so I can avoid them?

mil said...

The beauty of Kristin--
I was wondering when the power would come on, and then I figured all I had to do was to check in on line, and I could judge by the time of her post. The crews did good work! They were clearing a downed limb in the village at 7:30, so the electricity must have come on by 8:30 or so.

Anonymous said...

Even if Ike HAD blown down all your remaining tomato plants, I don't think that you could phrase the result as a tomato "shortage."

Anonymous said...

Oh, and because I know that all of you read my comments on Kristin's blog and remember them (whatever...) I thought I would share the follow-up to the comment I posted on Saturday to the "One Weird Thing" entry.

Guess how I discovered, on Sunday morning, that one of my darling children had apparently lost the lid to the milk?

Yep. The dog was happy, though - he got to clean it up off the floor.

And HOW do you LOSE THE LID TO THE MILK???

Anonymous said...

Kristin, i guess that solves some of the problems of where to get the wood for winter huh?

MsPicketToYou said...

I'm just struggling to keep up... and keep writing... and not kill everything I grown... including my kids...