Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Weird Thing

Well. I still haven't put new batteries in my camera, so no photos for you today. And it's Saturday, which means only about half of you will be reading. So I think it's the perfect time to share with you One Weird Thing about me. Not the ONLY weird thing, naturally, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm you.

My One Weird Thing for the day:

Every time I sit down to eat at home, my brain automatically takes note of what on the plate is local food and where it came from. And I give myself mental kudos for the really local stuff (from my garden), the third-person local stuff (like A.'s uncle's beef), and the sort-of local stuff (produced in New York State). I also give myself mental guilt trips for "imported" food, like coffee or rice.

So last night we had stir-fry. Carrots, green beans, chard, bell pepper, and garlic from my garden (well done, Kristin!). Then onions from the next county over and the beef from the aforementioned uncle (not so bad). Plus rice. From India. Oh well. Stir-fry might be kind of odd served over our potatoes.

And then this morning for breakfast: Tomatoes from my garden, homemade bread (though God knows where the flour comes from for that . . .), apricot jam made from apricots picked at the orchard down the road, eggs from a nearby farm, bacon from Pennsylvania (kind of local), and coffee. Too bad there's no way to get local coffee. I'll just have to learn to live with myself.

I do this EVERY SINGLE TIME I sit down at the table. Weird? Yeah, but harmless.

Feel free to share your One Weird Thing if you'd like. We'll make it a Confessional Saturday.

6 comments:

mil said...

I positively love making tea for people. Coffee, too, but tea especially.

Anonymous said...

I give the milk carton a quick shake each time I take it out of the fridge, before I open it and pour.

This is probably because when I was little and my grandparents still had a dairy farm, my grandma would always do that with her fresh milk, because it would have separated a bit in the fridge. I have no reason to do it with my store-bought milk, but I still do.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

If I stub my left toe while walking, I have to stub my right toe the same way or my subconscious won't let it go. "You're uneven ..."

No, that's just neurotic. Weird is how I always pull off a little piece of bread (or roll, or pizza crust), roll it up into a tiny little ball, and eat that before finishing the sandwich/roll/slice.

Anonymous said...

I love to hang clothes out on the line in the sunshine. For the sake of our neighbors, I do use the dryer for underwear, but I am grumpy today because it's raining and I have to use the dryer or inside clothes line (yes, I have one inside too!). I think that I have fear of shrinkage. Having benefited from the MiL's tea making all the way back to the 1970s in graduate school, I can attest to her tea-skills. And, oh, yes, I also like to iron those clothes! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Weird? Well, if you asked my long-time bf, he'd say nearly everything is weird about me, I just look normal on the outside, lol. :P

I do that when I sit down to eat too! I think about where all the stuff I'm eating has come from, but mostly local beef and veg.

I haven't had any form of sugar in almost 2 1/2 years!

I love eating some really odd food combinations sometimes, like fresh corn tortillas with peanut butter or just butter.. lol.

FinnyKnits said...

I save our local newspaper to use as wrapping paper and I floss in the car - there it's out!