Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Q&A at G.C.

You ask, I answer.

So I shouldn't ask you what function the endoplasmic reticulum serves?

No. But since you brought it up . . . The endoplasmic reticulum is responsible for protein translation, sequestration of calcium, and the production and storage of glycogen, steroids, and other macromolecules.*

Okay...How about, how did you and A meet?

A. and I met when we were interns at the Arizona State Senate. We both went to college in Arizona, graduated in December of 2001, and began the internship program. I was employed by the Democratic caucus; he was a part of the supposedly non-partisan Research Department. We were both assigned to the Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Committee. Love bloomed amidst bills regarding toxic black mold and the clean up of brownfields. It was very romantic.

And what exactly did this country boy do to make you give up your high-class city ways?

Who said I was high-class? I was living in a straight-up ghetto in Phoenix. It wasn't exactly a high-rise in New York City. The first four years of our relationship were spent in cities. First in Phoenix, then in Albany, New York, where he went to law school. A. does not do well living in cities. He gets a little crazy. It was always understood that he would eventually end up back at Blackrock; he was just putting in his time until he could move back home. I married him knowing that this house (and country living) came with the deal. And it turned out to be not such a bad deal, at that.


* Of COURSE I just knew that. Wikipedia had NOTHING to do with it.

To be continued . . .

Okay, continuing.

What if my chickens still have bald butts in the winter?

I read this and was all, "What the hell?" A. read this and was all, "Those chickens need more space--they're pecking at each other." And then I was all, "Ew." How's that for an answer.

Do I get them toupees?

Do you knit? You could knit little butt-cozies for them. Like the ones for toilet paper.

And yes, what DID turn you from city to country?

I kind of answered this above, but as for ME turning into a country girl . . . one benefit of being a military child and moving all the time is a chameleon-like ability to blend and adapt. I adapt very, very well to new situations and new roles.

At what point did it seem normal to have lamb pelts on your barn floor?

I have not yet reached that point. Believe me, I still look in that barn and wonder what this freak show is that I seem to be a part of.

And could you tell who was who?

No. But then, I tried not to look too closely.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's 5:30 am, the baby has been up for 2 hours. What to do in the middle of the night? Look for interesting blogs...stumbled upon yours. Great blog, seriously funny! Now I'm not so grumpy the little bugger got me up. Just added you to my blog roll! Kim

Sweet Bird said...

Aha. Makes sense now. I was hoping it would be " I was driving my Mercedes through the countryside, looking for organic farm fresh eggs, when this quaint country-boy caught my eye." But this seems, way more believable.

The bald chicken asses made me laugh for at least 7 seconds.

mil said...

MiL here, on the pelts. Heck, I could barely tell Lamb # 1 from the twins that were born two weeks later when they were all right in front of me, turning their glassy yellow eyes in my direction. Cloning a sheep doesn't seem like all that big a deal.

The pelts seem to be curing all right and tight. Lots of salt, no smell.

SaraPMcC said...

Oh, I like your Q&A! Until you get to...well, you know what part. I didn't know you and A. met as Senate interns. Black mold sure is romantic!

Anonymous said...

Hee! Bald chicken asses! My brother, who has what he calls "urban chickens" in Fort Collins, CO, called yesterday and mentioned that he was trying to get his chickens to come inside because it was about to start raining, but "they aren't listening to reason."

Susan said...

Ew is right! I was afraid of that. Three of the chickens molted and two of them got their butts refeathered pretty quickly. One will need a cozy. Also, I will let them out more often, so they can go to the mall or whatever it is they do instead of pecking at each other.

Anonymous said...

Did you dig those potatoes out all at one time? After my trip I know how much time and effort that takes. Wow. You have every right to have a potato aversion. I just had to interrupt my reading to make the potato comment.