Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Hope This Guy Gets Pants for Christmas

The MiL gets a lot of UPS deliveries, so the men in brown are frequent visitors to Blackrock. They're unfailingly pleasant and friendly, and they always give the dogs treats, so I have a fairly good opinion of them in general. But yesterday, I saw something that made me doubt the intelligence of one particular UPS delivery man:

Dude was wearing shorts. The high temperature yesterday was 22 degrees.

I understand that UPS drivers do a lot of running in and out of their trucks to deliver things, so they're not sitting all day. But I do a lot of outside work, and there is no kind of hard labor that makes bare skin comfortable when the temperature is in the twenties. And I know he couldn't have been comfortable, because his legs were that angry red that results from exposure to cold. I felt like I should invite him in to warm up by the fire.

There may be a good explanation for this astounding lack of sense, but failing a good one, I'm just gonna have to go with the most obvious: He's just a leeeetle bit slow.

But as long as he's nice to the dogs, I guess slow is okay.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do they get out of the truck constantly, but don't they also have those open doors? What could he be thinking?

Susan said...

I don't know how to explain it, but your UPS man and I must be related. I, too, can go for my three mile walk in shorts even if it's in the twenties. My skin gets angry and red but it just feels SO GOOD to not be hot. I don't really feel the cold. I just know I HATE the heat!

Anonymous said...

LOL...maybe Santa will come through with an attractive new pair of those lovely brown pants!

jean said...

My son is still in shorts. He is going for the record it would seem. Every other kid at school has caved in and bowed to parental pressure. But not him. I figure there are bigger things to fight over and if he wants to be cold, go for it.

MsPicketToYou said...

saw the garbage guy in short sleeves and shorts today. it's a high 30 degrees. i shivered vicariously.

FinnyKnits said...

I wore open toed shoes to work today and my carpool buddy told me I had lost it.

Granted, it was only 40 degrees this morning, but still. I see why she doubts my sanity.

Julie said...

Did he have nice legs? Maybe he just wants to share his awesomeness with the world, even if it causes him pain.

Anonymous said...

I drive for FedEx, and we have three or four drivers who wear their shorts all winter. Sweatshirt, vest and a jacket, but naked legs! Not me. I wear sweatpants under my pants all winter and stay toasty!