Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just In Case . . .

We had the first of the venison last night, and it was very, very good. Especially for roadkill.

I have learned many new skills since moving to Blackrock, and a lot of those revolve around food. One of those skills is how to cook strongly-flavored meat. Meaning, in our case, wild game and lamb. I had never eaten either of those things, not once, before moving here. And if you're accustomed to the mild (some might say tasteless . . .) meat at the grocery store, cooking (and actually enjoying) these different kinds of meats can be a challenge. So I thought I should share with you some of my acquired wisdom, in case you ever find yourself with roadkill that you plan to eat*.

I think the most important factor in the flavor of wild meat, and venison in particular, is the way it is treated when it's dressed and butchered. But beyond that, a good rule of thumb is strong flavorings for strong meats. Also, low, slow cooking methods. When I cook the venison roasts, I sprinkle them with salt and a tiny bit of French Four Spice (which is white pepper, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves--I know, it sounds weird, but you'll just have to trust me here), brown the meat, soften some sliced onions in there, then deglaze the pan with a bunch of red wine, add some water, and simmer the meat in that mixture for a few hours. That creates a nice pan sauce for the meat, too, that you can finish however you want. Thicken with flour, add a little bit of cream, whatever. But the wine and the long cooking will mask some of the wild flavor and make the meat very tender. It can be very tough if you're not careful.

For lamb, take a cue from Middle Eastern cooking (which uses sheep as its primary meat, after all) and use a bit of cinnamon. I do not like cinnamon in savory dishes as a general rule, but it does work well with the distinct flavor of lamb. And again, red wine is your friend if you're trying to create a sauce for lamb.

I'm not saying this will make deer and sheep taste like chicken breasts, but it will make them a little more palatable if the flavors are new to you. And anyway, why would you WANT them to taste like chicken breasts, which taste like . . . nothing at all.

Anyway, go get you some roadkill and get to cookin'. You might be pleasantly surprised.

* Hey, IT COULD HAPPEN.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just recently mastered the art of cooking chicken JUST RIGHT without drying the hell out of it in fear of salmonella...I think it'll be a while before I attempt anything more exotic. Won't stop me from EATING more exotic stuff, though. YUM.

Jim said...

Try a Memphis type BBQ Dry Rub. Works great then Grill the vension for about an hr or hr and half.

Anonymous said...

If you're ever interested, I'd be happy to lend you some of my Paula Wolfert books, especially the ones that focus on the eastern Mediterranean, which have some amazing recipes for lamb (many of which I have not had the pleasure of trying, sadly, although I might try to fix that in the coming year by arranging to buy some humanely tended lamb from a certain, much loved family with a crazy gorgeous old house and a small farm).

I agree about the store chicken. It tastes like nothing but water and hormones. Have you seen the pictures of agribusiness chickens with breasts so artificially boated that the birds fall forward? Yuck and yuck.

But have I ever told you how much I love deeply flavored food that has traveled less than my daily commute? And will you please bring some to xmas?

And why am I suddenly so glum at the thought of my lunch of mini shells and red sauce?

Anonymous said...

Well nothing to add to you comment section today...being a vegetarian kinda makes commenting on gamey meat a little pointless. So just thought I would let you know that I have indeed been here, read your post, and have nothing to say...really I don't! Kim

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jim: We've never had the venison last long enough to make it to grilling season. Call me a wimp, but I am reluctant to tend a grill for an hour and a half when it's snowing outside. But I bet that's really good.

Mark: Much loved family? Crazy gorgeous old house? Man, you're SUCH A SUCK-UP. But we'll still share the bounty with you. What do you think we should bring for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

Kristen: By the power vested in me, I hereby give you first dibs at deciding what to bring for christmas. I'm guessing you have some things that you prefer to cook as opposed to least favorite things.

MsPicketToYou said...

one of the best things ever consumed by me? venison fondue. in a 70s ski chalet with shag carpet which somehow made it taste even better.

FinnyKnits said...

Well, obviously since, as my good friend puts it "Pollo es mierda".

I just love the idea of you eating roadkill.

Not "you" specifically, but anyone. NO WASTE!

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you about my marinated and bacon-wrapped, grilled venison tenderloin? It's my favorite meat recipe on earth. Heavenly!

Julie said...

I'm spending a little time at home in Arkansas, so I should be able to find some fresh roadkill without any problem. Think these tips apply to possum?
I've tagged you on my blog...play if you feel like it.