Monday, December 8, 2008

The Spoils of War

The one benefit to hosting far too many people at a party in our home (besides the fact that all of our glassware has been washed and so can be used without fear of dust and dead insects for the first time in months) is what those people leave behind. And I'm not talking about crumpled napkins and crumbs ground into the rugs.

No, I'm talking about the wine. Wine being, of course, the traditional safe hostess gift. I can't remember how many bottles of wine I took as the guests came in. A lot of them were consumed during the revelry, but a lot more were left over. A LOT more.


This is going to require a lot of coffee mugs.

One particularly favored guest even brought a bottle of single malt scotch. And there's something in there called Harvey's Bristol Cream, which sounds impossibly British, though I haven't the first clue what it is. But mostly, it's wine. White, red, dry, fruity, even ice wine. And it's really a tragedy that all of this lovely alcohol is being stored on the kitchen floor.

We sure could use a wine rack . . . *

* Dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is veddy, veddy British, my dear chap. It's sherry. Enjoy! Glad you had a good party.

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeeet. This is when all the headache of throwing the party (and the aftermath) is totally worth it. (ICE wine? Please give us a review after you taste that one...)

My Dad got me a bottle of Bristol Cream a few years ago. I wanted to like it, but it really ain't my thing. Tastes like raisins to me. Eeech.