Monday, February 9, 2009

A Wee Bit Premature

We maybe got a little carried away by the sun that came out yesterday. We were all outside, A. playing with his manly chainsaw, the MiL contemplating pots to be planted with flowers, me sitting on the Adirondack chair on the patio, soaking up the sun like some kind of geriatric invalid. The MiL said it felt like summer. A. took off his fleece vest. I said we should grill a steak for dinner. So I took steak out of the freezer. Then I looked at the thermometer.

It was 38 degrees.

Now, granted, the sun gets warmer in February and has more power to actually affect the air temperature, but still. That's not warm by any stretch of the imagination. Except, apparently, imaginations that are accustomed to ice on interior walls. That is, the imaginations of those who live at Blackrock. I swear, it felt about 50 degrees in the sun. I can only conclude that we were all either suffering from a collective hallucination, or we all had a severe case of Wishful Spring-thinking.

And even though I knew it wasn't warm, and it still gets dark at 5:30 p.m., I still made A. build a fire in the grill to make charcoal to grill the steak. Thirty-eight degrees be damned, porterhouse steaks demand that smoky grill taste.


Nothing promises spring like charred flesh al fresco.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, that photo makes me hungry for steak.

Sadly, I was inside nearly all day; striking the set for the play I just finished, going to see another play that was closing yesterday, and going to a rehearsal for my next play. Sigh.

The Management said...

We've been doing the same thing all weekend. We went out and had a silly string fight yesterday morning, in fact. The car wash has been packed all weekend - it's like everyone in the tri-state area ran outside Saturday and Sunday mornings screaming "BWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH ABOVE FREEEEEZINGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

I got a little overzealous this weekend with the "warm" temperatures (read: over 32F) and ran errands on Saturday without a coat...with the car heater blasting on high.

Chiot's Run said...

Tastes like summer!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm that looks good.

It was 70 degrees in Mayberry yesterday but NOT SUNNY and there was no green in sight so it didn't count. It was just annoyingly hot in our house.

By the way, we grill out all winter. Rather Mr. Mom grills out. I stay in the comfort of my kitchen and he braves the cold. Just can't go all winter without the smoky flavor of grilled food.

It's me said...

Hurray for steak! Good choice.

Anonymous said...

Mayberry - I feel you, my family grills no matter what the temperature is outside. My family has literally stood outside with an umbrella over the grill before.

I got a little excited myself about the bout of warm weather this weekend. I actually got to sprawl in the warm grass for a little bit. It almost felt like summer there for a minute.

And man, do those steaks look good...

Ahhhhh, spring is almost here!!! :)

Phoo-D said...

It's raining here today and I'm hoping furiously that it melts all the snow! However we're supposed to have more snow this weekend - cruel cruel world.

me said...

I understand. I took my coat off to drive today, its 5C, you get to a stage where you think -5C is warm.

So today I wore normal shoes and took my coat off.