Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Wolf Den

In case you didn't know it already, dogs like to be in enclosed spaces. It makes them feel safe. This is why they can be easily crate-trained. Our dogs have a variety of places to sleep, but one of their favorites is a dog bed the MiL threw under a table in the living room.

All the dogs love this bed. Sometimes, one dog that's sleeping in front of the fire will haul herself up and stumble into the living room to crash onto the dog bed under the table, only to find it already occupied. Then the dog will stand there staring blearily at the coveted bed, perhaps thinking she can displace the other dog by sheer mind power. Or maybe she's just confused. Either way, it's really funny.

I've even seen the cat there on occasion. It's dark, soft, and out of the way of foot traffic. What's not to like? And it's awfully cute to see them peeking out from under there.


I interrupted nap time just for this photo. Mia was not amused.

9 comments:

Sweet Bird said...

She is freakin' adorable. Maybe that's why my friend's dog always tries to sleep in the cat bed?

Anonymous said...

Haha, she looks like a big deer sprawled out under there. I love rough collies. :D

Kristin @ Going Country said...

BTG: Don't let Mia hear you say that. She thinks smooth collies like her get no respect. EVERYONE loves those fluffy roughs, but they think the smooths are scary-looking. I ask you, is that a scary face?

Anonymous said...

During the Christmas season, I moved my dog's bed from its usual place in the living room to make room for the tree, and put the dog bed across the room. When I told the dog to "Go lie down," it never failed to amuse me to see him head for the spot where his bed usually is, and stop, and think, "Where the heck is my bed?" You'd think that after a month he'd have learned, but nope.

FinnyKnits said...

Oh yes, Jada's dog bed is her best friend. Not me or Bubba, mind you, but her bed. And I love when they lie down like that with their back paws over their front.

We call it hog-tied. As in, "Hey Bubba, come look! Jada wants to be hog-tied!"

We think we're funny, but the dog doesn't laugh at all.

Anonymous said...

@Kristin: I grew up with a big rough collie - what a great dog. I don't know who could be scared of that face...

I think a smooth collie would be much more suited to the weather here than our rough was. We used to get him sheared every year just so he wouldn't expire from the heat. He even had his own swimming pool. :P

Chiot's Run said...

Lucy likes to sleep under my desk with her head resting on my lap while I'm working. I don't usually mind, but sometimes her head can get rather heavy!

Anonymous said...

I call these tiny spaces my dogs' "caves". Sometimes it's hard to get them out! Especially for a dog with strong natural instincts, it's the only way for them to truly let their guard down.

Sometimes when I'm sleeping on my side, I'll wake up and my beagle is sound asleep, sitting beside me, resting his head on my hip. How can that be comfortable to sleep sitting?! But I suspect he may be guarding me.

Anonymous said...

I'm digging that table about as much as Mia is digging that bed.