Friday, March 6, 2009

The Big Easy Reports--FOOOOOD

You all know that one of the best things about New Orleans is the food, right? Which is why I am befuddled by the 20 cars I saw lined up in the Taco Bell drive-thru at lunchtime today. I felt like running down the line of cars screaming, "You're in New Orleans, you morons! Step away from the chalupas and go get a po'boy!" But I didn't, because that would have been weird. And also possibly have led to my arrest by the N.O.P.D.

No, I did not berate the misguided souls at Taco Bell (SERIOUSLY--Taco Bell in NEW ORLEANS?), but I sure as hell did not eat MY lunch there. After dinner at a disappointing and far too expensive chain restaurant last night, I was on the lookout for a good place for a po'boy today. Also after a morning spent packing and moving things to the truck. I was hungry. And I didn't want another disappointing meal. My time here is limited, and I am loathe to waste one meal of it on crap.

So, driving back to the hotel to drop off the moving truck, I spied a very small, unassuming place in a crappy strip-mall named The Cajun Cafe or something. And I thought to myself, "If A. were with me, that's where he'd say we should eat." You should know that A. has a talent for finding really good, cheap local food when we travel. One of his secrets is to see where cops are eating. Another is to only go to restaurants with a crappy exterior, figuring they'll be more worried about their food than their decorations. The Cajun Cafe seemed to fit the requirements. And THEN, when we got to the hotel, my dad asked the van driver where he would recommend we go for a po'boy in the area. And what did he say?

Did you guess The Cajun Cafe? Dingdingding! You got it in one! It had five tables, some truly terrible and yet awesome murals, and though there were no cops, there WERE mail carriers eating their lunch. The food, as I predicted (BECAUSE I RULE), was fantastic. I got a muffaletta (look it up, kids), my dad got blackened chicken. It was perfect New Orleans food, two blocks from our hotel and less than $10 apiece.

There were other activities today--a fruitless search for sandals because my feet are burnin' UP, and a stop at Whole Foods, which I had never been in and which shocked me by its prices and lack of common food like Triscuits--but lunch was the highlight.

Yes, I come to New Orleans and all I can talk about is my lunch. What can I say? Mardi Gras is over, so there are no beads to flash for, and I'm hangin' with the 'rents, so this is as good as it gets.

7 comments:

Phoo-D said...

A muffalata sounds awesome! Thanks for the update!

It's me said...

The only reason to travel is to eat.

Enjoy!

FinnyKnits said...

Oh I lovelovelove muffalatta. We have a NO place nearby and it's one of our fave items. Although a cochon de lait sandwich with fries is pretty awesome, too.

Oh hell, what I'm trying to say is WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED TO TRAVEL THAN REALLY GOOD FOOD TO FIND?

Also, good job finding good food. A. would be proud.

I had the same reaction to Taco Bell eaters in Kansas, by the way, given that there was one RIGHT NEXT TO an excellent BBQ joint with an open parking lot.

What are people thinking when they'd rather have a bean burrito over a burnt end sandwich? Really now.

Anonymous said...

You really have a flair for writing! I love the way you make the mundane exciting! But hurry up and give us more pictures of the puppies! I laughed at your description of being in airports. Me too!

Sherry

Daisy said...

Mmmm. You're like me; I'd much rather eat local than drive through a chain. The exception is regional chains; if we don't have them in my part of the country, I'll try it somewhere else.

Sweet Bird said...

The only thing I enjoy when I'm in the South is the food. It helps me forget all the annoying people I have to tolerate - namely the husband's family.

I really want a po'boy now.

I kinda hate you right now.

But only a little bit.

Susan said...

MMmmmmmm a muffaletta! Well done, you!!