Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No, I'm Still Not Home

When I said we had returned from our road trip, I meant we had returned to my parents' house in Tucson. I won't be back at Blackrock until late Thursday night, which means there will be no playing with puppies until Friday. This is like the vacation that never ends. *

In the meantime, allow me to give you a recommendation. If you ever find yourself in Tucson, you should absolutely go to the International Wildlife Museum. We went this morning. It is astounding. If taxidermy freaks you out, it wouldn't be for you, but this is seriously one of the most detailed, most educational museums about animals I've ever seen. It's about on par with The Field Museum in Chicago. The displays are realistic in setting and the activities the animals are engaged in, which means if you might find the sight of four stuffed wolves taking down a stuffed elk disturbing, then you probably wouldn't like it.

But for those of you who can handle nature in all her beauty and cruelty, I really can't recommend this place too highly. Thousands and thousands of stuffed animals, arranged and explained extremely well. If I had four thumbs, I would give it all four thumbs up. But since I'm not a mutant, two thumbs up will have to do.

* It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started vacationing not knowing what it was, and they'll continue vacationing forever just because this is the vacation that never ends . . . thank you Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, for that supremely annoying song that can be so easily adapted to all situations.

4 comments:

Katie T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

As a lover of taxidermy, that museum sounds amazing! I'm going to go hunt down my husband and ask him why he hasn't taken me in the TWO times we've been in Tucson in the last year (he's a native).

Daisy said...

This sounds fascinating! I have major allergies, but I love nature and animals. I'll pop an extra Claritin and head to the museum!

Roger A. Post said...

Been there. Want to go back. How about that sheep mountain in the middle of the museum. Great, eh?