Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SURPRISE!

I know, I said no posting until I got home. But then I was walking down the stairs in our hotel (ALLLL the way down--we're on the 10th floor and the elevator is really slow, so I walk down), and I happened to see the business center. Free computer access! Score! So I thought I'd just pop in and let you know that so far, I have:

1) Gone to the Forbes Galleries. It's a museum in the lobby of the Forbes Magazine building. Their permanent collection includes a rather amazing display of toy boats and toy soldiers. Plus Monopoly games. I know, weird, right? But oddly fascinating, and, the best part? FREEEEEEE!!! That's right, no charge to see it all. I love free. Thank you, Forbes family.

2) Gone to the Strand bookstore. Remember Bookman's, in Tucson? The Strand kicks Bookman's ass. It's HUGE. Four floors, new books, old books, rare books. Too many books, actually. I get overwhelmed in places like that and don't know what to look for. Nevertheless, I spent about an hour wandering. I didn't buy anything, though. Maybe I'll get something when I take A. there tonight after his torture session is over with for the day.

3) Stumbled upon a cluster of Indian businesses on Lexington Avenue when I got a little lost. It was a good kind of lost though, as it resulted in me getting to have chicken tikka masala for lunch. For seven dollars. YUM. And cha-CHING.

It's still only 1:30 p.m., and I don't have to meet A. until 5 p.m. I don't know what I'll do now. More aimless wandering, probably. The beauty of The City. You don't have to be going anywhere, because just the getting to anywhere is an adventure in itself.

Until later, duckies!

8 comments:

Susan said...

So glad you're having fun!

jean said...

The weather is perfect today for just walking around.

FinnyKnits said...

Central park? Shoe shopping? Pedicure?

Whatever you do, have fun!

Beth said...

Yum, chicken tikka masala. I love it. Glad you're keeping busy and having fun.

MsPicketToYou said...

books? masala?

seething over here.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, gonna have to check out that bookstore when I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Free stuff and cheap food? Sounds like a great day!

Anonymous said...

Quack, duckie here says hey to you and have lots of fun.