Friday, May 1, 2009

Hey, Kids! It's TULIP TIME!

We're coming to the end of the spring flowers at Blackrock. They go through definite stages. First to come are the snowdrops, then the crocuses, then the hyacinths and daffodils, and now we're at the tulip stage.

Tulips were this huge deal in Albany, because Albany was a Dutch settlement originally. There was a big Tulip Festival in the big city park in Albany every spring, with Tulip Princesses sweeping the streets in their wooden clogs in the parade before the festival. This is some kind of Dutch tradition that I never quite understood, but whatever. The tulips were pretty, anyway.

The MiL managed to get a good photo of some of our many tulips yesterday. Along with puppies in the background. I know! Puppies AND tulips? Life is good.


Blackrock is a magical place.

8 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

Bee-you-tiful!

By the way, I must know more about your cryptic change comment left at my blog! What's the scoopage?

Sara said...

Nice. Almost as nice as the tulips in the park. The 'fest is next weekend!

Phoo-D said...

Lovely lovely! Thanks for the cheery way to start my morning.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! The tulips that came up pink and pretty for me last year came up spotty and flowerless this year. Blah. Pretty sure it's because I bought the bulbs out of a discount bin at Home Depot.

adb said...

Hi Kristin!

I've been a bit of a lurker for a little bit. I got sucked right in with the pictures of puppies and lambs ;) I thought today would be the day to announce myself because I am in the ALB currently and the tulips seem to be right on time for the fest. I have some pix of the tulips outside my apt that i hope to post soon. Interested to hear your connection with the small-city.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

-adb

Amy said...

your yard is gorgeous and my yard sucks. There. I said it. Maybe if my dogs would stop peeing on everything, huh?

FinnyKnits said...

Oh wow. Almost too much cuteness and perfection for me.

It's impressive that you can still see Blackrock as a magical place given the winter's you endure. Brava!

Sweet Bird said...

I grew up in a Dutch town - it was interesting. My mom worked in a windmill. I own wooden clogs.

I love tulips, nonetheless.