Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's a Random Kinda Day

My brain seems to be scattered and disorganized this morning. (And how, I can hear you asking, is that any different than most mornings? It's not--I just decided to announce it this particular morning.) So instead of a post with a central theme, you get one of the random lists that require little effort on my part, since all I have to do is spew whatever is in my head at the time onto the screen. Isn't this FUN? Say yes.

1) I know that dogs like to "make their beds" by scratching around to fluff things up and make everything more comfy, but why can't our dogs learn that an Oriental rug (which is what all our floors are covered in) does NOT fluff up, no matter how much they scratch? And I thought collies were supposed to be smart.

2) Speaking of Oriental rugs, remember the musical rugs we were playing last year with Duchess's rugs and the rugs they replaced? Yeah, I STILL have one of the old rugs upstairs, waiting to be put down in the north bedroom. Its current position, rolled up in a plastic storage bin, does not so much contribute to the aesthetic appeal of that room. Then again, that's the room with ice on the walls in the winter, so how much aesthetic appeal can it have?

3) One of the reasons the rug isn't down is that we have to paint that room. More painting. For a house that's been continuously occupied by the family for so many years, there seems to be an awful lot of painting and furniture moving to be done. Somehow, I always associate those activities with moving houses. And yet, here we are, three years after we moved here and never planning to move again, hauling furniture up and down stairs with regularity and choosing paint colors.

4) I'm hoping I can get A. to paint the north bedroom. He's a better painter than I am. But he doesn't like painting any better than I do, and he doesn't care about things like cracked walls and peeling paint, so my chances aren't good.

5) I really need him to come home already. He has about two days of chainsaw work to do, plus the mower threw its belt so I can't mow until he comes home to fix it and the sheeps' bathtub water tank needs to be refilled, which requires getting the pump going. Oh, and I, uh, miss his bubbling personality, too. Not just his abilities with machines. OF COURSE.

6) What the hell happened to the address bar in Microsoft Internet Explorer? It disappeared when the MiL was working on the computer more than a month ago, and I cannot figure out how to get it back. I've searched all the icons in the toolbar, I've consulted troubleshooting websites and Microsoft discussion boards, and . . . nothing. I KNOW there's just one little simple thing that will fix this, but I can't find it. Being a moron about technology in such a tech-driven world is a real burden sometimes. It is also extremely irritating.

Okay, I think we'll end at a round half-dozen. Have a super day, duckies!

11 comments:

mdvelazquez said...

What does it say about your readers that I had no trouble following along.

Go to View, Toolbars, and click on Address bar to reactivate it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah, I did try that. "Address bar" has the little check mark next to it and everything! What gives, Microsoft?

mdvelazquez said...

P.S. You aren't a moron. Locating it isn't obvious since it isn't a traditional tool bar.

mdvelazquez said...

Kristin: Try deselecting it, closing your browser, relaunching it, and reselecting it.

Maria

Anonymous said...

A. is gonna feel so 'needed' when he gets home.
Did the chickens come out?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Maria: No joy. These are actually things I managed to figure out on my own, which is why I suspect there is something even MORE subtle and hidden that only tech support people know . . .

Anonymous: The chickens DID come out! After a few days, the rooster decided he wasn't scared of any stupid old tree roots, so he strutted out. The hens were slower to follow their man, but did eventually. Then they had some trouble remembering how to get back IN, however. Chickens are not so smart. At all.

Phoo-D said...

I've found if I hit "F11" it disappears. Hit "F11" again and it shows back up. Odd.

Tell A to hurry up already, there's work to be done! =)

Sweet Bird said...

Sometimes the disappearing address bar is as simple as the toolbar being minimized. At the bottom of whatever toolbar you have at the top of IE, drag your mouse until the little doublesided arrow appears - then click and drag down and it might reappear.

That used to happen to me all the time when I used IE. Which is why you couldn't pay me to use IE now.

Susan said...

My mother had a rolled up oriental rug on her stair landing for probably a year. When someone pointed it out, I said it was a Martha Stewart thing, like leaving a bucket of fresh flowers in your kitchen sink. She thought it was a cool idea and I still wonder if she went home and rolled up an old rug of her own.

Chiot's Run said...

Ah, the days of living with a Windows PC, I sure don't miss those days.

I'm sure glad I have a super geeky techy Mr Chiots around to answer all of my computer questions and fix all of my problems (which are much fewer now that I'm an apple girl).

FinnyKnits said...

All issues with IE can be resolved in two steps:

1. Download Firefox (www.mozilla.com/firefox) or Chrome (www.google.com/chrome)

2. Uninstall IE forever

xoxo