Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Mysterious Case of the Dog Doo in the Nighttime

Yesterday didn't start out well: A.'s printer self-destructed, the sheep escaped from their pasture by breaking fence, and A. got stung on the ear by a wasp (yes, the EAR--bizarre, and apparently, particularly painful). If I include the middle of the night and technically the next morning as the end of yesterday, then it didn't end well either.

Onward with the story.

Rita the Pitiful Puppy has been staying in the kitchen at night as part of her recuperation process. Rita has not technically been house trained, as she's spent pretty much all her life outside in the pen. So it was with some trepidation that I left her in there on Tuesday night. I meant to get up around 2 a.m. to let her out, but I ended up not getting down there until 5 a.m. And yet, despite her having been in the kitchen for over eight hours, there was no mess at all. She went right outside, did her stuff (with much bonking around in the flower beds with her Elizabethan collar), and came right back inside. I was so proud. And relieved that I didn't have to worry about her.

So last night, into the kitchen again with Rita when we went to bed. This time, I actually got up at 1 a.m. to let her out, feeling virtuous (also feeling like I REALLY did not want to drag myself out of bed at 1 a.m. to let the dog out, but whatever). I was at the top of the stairs when it hit me: the unmistakable, pervasive smell of dog doo. And the fact that I could smell it at the top of the stairs meant that it was not in the kitchen, but rather somewhere else downstairs. The downstairs which is solely carpeted with Oriental rugs. Oh lovely, I thought to myself. This is JUST what I want to deal with right now. But duty* called, and I descended the stairs to meet my fate.

I checked the parlor, the entryway, the living room, and the library on my way through them to the kitchen. Nothing. Then I got to the dining room and flipped on the light. The first thing I saw was the Elizabethan collar on the floor. The next thing I saw was Rita, running out of the adjoining guest bedroom, clearly delighted to have ditched her torture device and even more delighted that someone had arrived to share in her midnight escapade. She wasn't so delighted when I slapped the collar back on her. I figured the damage had already been done (I also figured I did not want to stand around outside with the dog, waiting for another bowel movement), so I just put her in the back hall and resumed my search for the source of The Odor.

Since the culprit had emerged from the guest bedroom, I went in there next. Nothing. But there is an adjoining bathroom . . .

Yes, Rita had taken her dump in the bathroom. Appropriate, no? She didn't make it to the toilet, but she did manage to hit all three (white) rugs on the floor in there. I was so happy that she had soiled something machine washable that I almost went out to thank her. But I didn't. Instead I gingerly bundled up the rugs, tossed them outside to be dealt with in the morning (well, LATER in the morning), and trudged back up to bed.

Sometimes, my life is so glamorous, I can't even stand it.

* I managed to barely restrain myself from writing "doody" there (HAAAA!). You're welcome.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rita trying to be a good girl. She is trying hard mom...she just couldn't make it UP onto the toilet...so that grassy feeling stuff on the floor, (remember dogs are colorblind, so it could've looked green to her) was the next best thing for her. Poor baby dealing with the collar and staying in the house....I think she did splendidly. But, am glad it is you and not me , again, cleaning up a doggy mess.

QuiltedSimple said...

Poor rita! At least she tried.....if it were me - I'd pitch the rugs and buy new.....
Kris

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Kris, you're either much wealthier than I am, or much more squeamish. If I threw out everything one of the animals had soiled -- and I'm counting the 2-legged animals in there -- I'd still be out shopping.

Kristin, as bad as the smell is, I'll take that rather than the odorless hairballs the cats leave right where I step out of bed. Or the one I found in the dining room that had little foot bones and some gray fur in it. (None of the cats are gray.)

mdvelazquez said...

I think Rita she be rewarded for not sullying the walls, etc. too. She's had such a rough week.

Anonymous said...

What a total score! Anytime the mess in on machine-washable, you have to reward the animal....

Moi

me again said...

Poor poopy pup. I hope tonight goes better for everyone.

andrea said...

HAHAHAHA
it's the glamour of country living that appeals to me most too - lyng in the mud face first trying to pull a recalcitrant doe out from under a shed she should have been able to get to while a thunder storm does it thing above ranked on this weeeks joys for me!

Melinda said...

Seems like just another day around my place!!!

rls said...

THE ODOR. My next door neighbors have a mastiff and I swear that thing drops piles bigger than my cat. And when it gets nice and August-weather-y and they haven't picked it up for a couple of days, you can smell it clear over here.

FinnyKnits said...

Oh lord and that is why we adopted a 3 year old, and fully trained, dog (Jada the Magnificent) this last time around.

I so loathe potty training puppies. I've done it twice now and I really don't want to do it again.

Because...the smell. OH I CAN'T HANDLE IT.

It makes me ill and mad at the same time. And that's no way to go through life.

You're nice.

sweetbird said...

Hmmm...I'm starting to rethink the whole "getting a pet" thing.

Daisy said...

I'm still laughing at the post title! Our pet rabbit used to go on the rug in the bathroom; we locked him out eventually.