Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Life at Blackrock

We are currently preparing the infamous north bedroom for painting. This entailed moving all the furniture, including a very large armoire that has never been shifted since I've been here, since it's seven feet tall and a wee bit heavy. After A. shifted the thing a couple of feet out from the wall, I started sweeping back there (EW) and I made such an exciting discovery that I ran back to A.'s office to announce it.

There's an electrical outlet in that corner.

I know this doesn't seem very exciting to most of you. But you must understand, in an old house, electrical outlets are a rare and precious thing. In the north bedroom particularly, lighting has always been a problem. It's a big room, and always dark and gloomy. That corner where I found the outlet was the darkest, because there are no windows over there, and the two doors in the room prevented me from running an extension cord there. That's also where A.'s dresser was, so in the winter he couldn't tell if he was taking black or navy blue socks from the drawer until he brought them over to the window.

But now I could set up a searchlight in that corner! I have electricity! The north bedroom has been brought into the 21st century.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rich folks out there have nothing over us peons. An outlet can make us happy. And it isn't even Gucci. ;)

Chiot's Run said...

Ah, the little things, I always find the most joy in those seemingly unimportant things, but they can bring more joy than many an expensive gift.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the excitement of finding outlets in an old house. Have you made sure it works? Because I have known the pain of finding an outlet, and then discovering the miserable thing was dead. WOE.

Phoo-D said...

I love your Blackrock stories! Life in an old house just has a lot more excitement then in a new one!

sweetbird said...

I have lived in many a house where finding an electrical outlet in a convenient spot was like striking gold.

A living room with one outlet, seriously?

Congrats on your find!

jean said...

When you were growing up did you ever imagine that an outlet would be this exciting?

Susan said...

Congratulations! Chris just hooked up the outlets in our diningroom. There was much rejoicing.

Tammi said...

I feel your pain about matching socks. Even with adequate light, I always have problems matching blacks and blues. I solved that by buying blue socks with patterns and black socks solid. Works great!

rls said...

At the same time that Ron was installing a garbage disposal to bring my house into the 1950's (last month) he also turned a non-working kitchen outlet into an actual working kitchen outlet... bringing me to a grand total of THREE! That was a happy day.

Daisy said...

Woo-hoo!! I understand completely; our house was built in 1890.

Tara_LB said...

Ah, the joy of electrical points. Congradulations on finding the "Lost Putlet of The North bedroom" (That could SO be a movie. OOOoooo or how about "Cronicles of Blackrock: The Tale of the Lost Outlet". I think I need coffee now...