Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What Wind Does to Me

I have mentioned before that I do not like wind. I especially don't like wind at night. Because then I don't really sleep. Last night we had violent thunderstorms at 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., with continuous hard wind all night. Which meant I spent the night lying in bed thinking things like, "If the power goes off, I won't be able to take a shower. But I have to go to the doctor today, so I'll have to start the woodstove and heat water in saucepans so I can take a sponge bath."

And, "I hope the MiL's wheelchair (left in the covered portion of the patio) doesn't get blown out into the open and get soaked."

And, "I did bring in A.'s shoes from outside, didn't I? And those jackets that were hanging over the backs of the patio chairs?" (I did.)

And, "I wonder if the dogs (in the pasture) commandeer the sheep barn when the weather's bad, or do they let the sheep have it? Is there a brawl? Bonnie (one of the large Cotswold ewes) is pretty big; she could probably take on a dog. Especially since her fleece is so thick right now, they could bite and only get mouthfuls of wool. I'll have to see if they have wool in their teeth in the morning."

It should be obvious that my brain may be a little unrealistic when semi-conscious.

10 comments:

Anke said...

I can totally relate. We had a pretty bad rainstorm last night and I laid awake the entire time thinking "what if". Makes for a very grouchy morning...

Tara_LB said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is bothered by wind at night. My SO (annoyingly) falls asleep about 0.00002 seconds after lying down, so does not care. I on the other hand have long neurotic conversations with myself. Said conversations are compounded when the SO is away and I'm home alone. At times like that, EVERY bump, and there are many, becomes a potential burglar and I go through at least a weeks worth of adrenalin!

Anonymous said...

It was windy way down south here last night, too. What bothers me is that it rattles the window shades and sounds like someone coming in. I divide my sleepless time between holding my breath wondering if it really is only the wind and hoping my husband doesn't hear it and, half asleep, shoot a hole in the wall (or me) to stop the "intruder"!

Lindakimy

me again said...

We have the wind here in Toronto today; I guess it made its way from your neck of the woods to mine. Our new pup barks at every little gust, so it's getting, um, loud inside my home. WOOF!

jean said...

We got the thunderstorms last night around 2am. The wind is blowing like crazy today. I keep waiting for that ominous crack and thud.

Do you still have that last puppy or has she found a new home?

Pat said...

Hey, you guys should try living in a trailer! We're full-timers, meaning we live FULL TIME in our trailer and travel. Now, it's true that our trailer is a big honking thing, and weighs 18,000 pounds, but it still feels like we're on a thrill ride when we're in 60-70 mile an hour winds! Been there/done that! As far as the male species sleeping through bumps in the night, what's up with THAT? And, yep, my hubby falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. Me? Not so much! LOL!

rls said...

Am I the only one who laughed out loud upon reading "In the morning I'll have to check and see if they have wool in their teeth."? Because that was funny to me.

Pat said...

Hey - stop by my blog - I have an award for you!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jean: Rita's still hanging around while the MiL looks for a buyer for her. She's a really nice dog, and I wish we could keep her, but four dogs is too many.

Susan said...

Well did they? have wool in their teeth?