Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Vacation Mindset

Yesterday morning at about 3, I was awakened by strong winds and a very brief, but loud, rainstorm. This being Tucson, it didn't last long enough to make any significant moisture, but it was loud enough to wake me up since my window was open. In my hazy, half-awake state, the first thing I thought of was, "I hope the dogs are okay in the pasture."

It took me a second to realize that there is no pasture here, there are no dogs, and rain in the night did not mean I would get my feet soaked trekking up to the pasture to let the chickens out of their coop in the morning. So THIS is how the other (urban) half lives, huh?

6 comments:

Phoo-D said...

LOL. Too funny. I used to have a pet rabbit (they can't be exposed to wind) and for years after the rabbit was gone whenever a windstorm would come up in the night I would think "I need to get up and cover the rabbit cage". Yeah, sleepy habits die hard! Enjoy your well deserved vacation!

Daisy said...

Yes, the urban folk live differently. I only get my feet soaked going to work; not letting the chickens out. :)

Country Gone City said...

Ahhhhh.... how I miss the country. And I'm certain the chickens, the sheep, and the dogs are missing you.

Anonymous said...

not to mention A.

rls said...

Yep, welcome to our world, however briefly.

BTW I've only had enough time lately to read your posts, and not all the comments like I usually do. Did you get an H1N1 shot?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

RLS: I tried. Really hard. But the version that's safe for pregnant women was not available anywhere in my area. So I just hold my breath and wash my hands like a fanatic in all public places.