Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Windy Country

I was lying in bed last night, reading before I went to sleep, and vaguely noticing a sound. If I haven't mentioned it before, I should say that I seem to be overly sensitive to sounds. Especially repetitive, droning sounds, like our refrigerator running or the high-pitched electronic sound of a computer or television. I can't ignore them like most people seem to be able to do. I always register them as an irritating noise, much like a mosquito.

ANYWAY.

So there was this noise last night that I was kind of half paying attention to as I was reading, because it seemed so constant. Unconsciously, I had labeled it the whoosh of cars on the road. But it was far too constant for that. Finally, with a start of realization that brought this subconscious musing to the forefront, I realized it was the sound of the wind outside. The sound of the wind whooshing up from the lake in a continuous gale. A winter sound.

And, um . . . that's all. Carry on.

5 comments:

Kris said...

100% agree with you. I can't abide a repetitive noise. I have ripped cars, houses and places of work apart to find and stop the noise. It's why I can't handle babies. They cry and cry and cry. ( I have no kids)

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed the new stupid spiral CFL light bulbs make a noise too....a hum I can't stand. I have to turn my computer off when I am not using it , 'cause I can't stand the noise it makes . I guess if we were younger and walked around w/ ear buds in we wouldn't notice.

word vierification 'apelize'

alphabet law enforcement

Pat said...

I have super sensitive ears - can hear things no humans SHOULD, like my first husband BLINK, but then again, he had WET eyes. What can I say?

My husband and I don't watch the same TV programs, thankfully, because I can't stand the sound decibel that he likes to listen to while watching the program. Just about makes my ears bleed!

Daisy said...

I guess that's one advantage to being hearing impaired; I turn off the hearing aids and I sleep much better!

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

When I was in junior high, I walked into our TV studio. (Yes, we had one. Cool.) After about 10 seconds I asked the teacher what the whining/whistling sound was. He asked me to walk around the room until I found where it was coming from. I stopped in front of one of the TVs. He said to keep looking, it had to be something else.

After two more laps of the room I told him no, it was the TV. He said, "Well that's interesting." Turns out he was running some video diagnostic thingamahooie, and it was looping at 25khz. Humans aren't supposed to be able to hear that.


Word verification: tolde -- Antiquated form, as in "I tolde thee it was the TV."