Friday, December 4, 2009

How Happy Is Your State?

Well, according to the Yahoo! article I saw just now (we just love these Yahoo! articles--they make us feel so GOOD about ourselves), my state isn't in the top ten. In fact, based on the research results used, I suspect New York would be somewhere in the bottom ten.

This research was collected from Gallup information. And how's this for ridiculous? The information was analyzed by (among others) a dude from the University of Cambridge. In England. Why an English scientist was studying American happiness is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat, you crazy Brit.

ANYWAY.

The sweeping conclusion is that the happiest states are those that are wealthy and tolerant. Which explains why New York is nowhere in the top ten. Wealthy? This state never emerged from the Great Depression. Tolerant? Um. Not so much. And so, New Yorkers (upstate New Yorkers anyway--New York City residents are a whole 'nother animal) are miserable! How neat and convenient!

Also how stupid. I mean, I wouldn't argue that upstate New Yorkers are not the jolliest bunch of people you'll encounter. In fact, I have remarked more than once that a certain dour and pessimistic attitude seems to be prevalent around here (in direct contrast to my own sunny nature--OF COURSE). But I think these people rejoice in their dourness! They enjoy being miserable! I don't think the study took that into account.

What do you think poppets? Do you live in a happy state?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only give those types of articles credence whenever my city/state is featured in a positive light, because I am obviously a mature individual.

But speaking of local pride, this morning on the radio I heard Russell Crowe (who has been in Pittsburgh for 3 months filming a movie) talking about how friendly and beautiful our city is. And I may have decided to become a fan of his based solely on this.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Some people just like being angry. (Number 4? Really? That should be at least Number 2.)



Word verification: lither -- jacket material made from gay cows.

Stephanie Z said...

Oh we Texan's are a happy lot. It is all the wide open space that makes us this way.

Haley said...

That criteria is a little weird. Here in Georgia, we also never emerged from the Great Depression, and the majority of the state is not tolerant at all, so I'm not sure how we didn't end up being last on that list. Whatever.

Anonymous said...

UTAH was number ONE? Oh, come, on. Anyway, as a Minnesotan, I am going to practice being happy today to live up to being on the top ten list.

Mia said...

well.... I live in upstate NY and now i don't know whether I'm happy or not! ::laughing::

mia

Roger A. Post said...

One might speculate that the dismal and near-eternal overcast of your region has a depressing psychological effect on the residents. Perhaps you have been able to internalize enough sunshine from visiting Tucson to overcome the gloom of Upstate NY!

Anonymous said...

We must be happy in Nevada. They just opened a 6 billion dollar resort here in Las Vegas! Would dislike to be them!

Nanacoon said...

I live in the state of CONFUSION..
no actually I live in very upstate part of New York along the NY/Canadian border. I have a great outlook on life and I'm rarely depressed or dismal even though I live in overtaxed New York State.

Daisy said...

I haven't read the feature yet, but I'd guess my fair state of wisconsin would rate as a happy state. We're also an obese state. Too much cheese, too many brats and beers, I guess. We're fat and jolly around here!

Daisy said...

24???? Well, we're not a wealthy state, but our cost of living is darn cheap compared to the top of the list. I think I'll stay.

sheila said...

Bah Humbug... from central NY