Monday, March 1, 2010

We Are Officially In Like a Lion

Though I wouldn't hold my breath for March going out like a lamb. March is kind of a miserable month in upstate New York, in my experience. It seems like it should be spring, but March is almost invariably more a winter month. It's very dispiriting.

So let's talk about gardening! Because that's a spring-y kind of thing, and we all need to be thinking Spring Thoughts right now in the dregs of winter.

We ordered our seeds some time ago. Not too many this year, as we ordered a lot last year that can still be planted this year. The garden is, by necessity, going to be a little scaled back this year. We always rotate the location of our crops, and that's going to be even more important this year since we're following The Year of the Blight. Because a lot of the garden space last year was taken by the blighted tomatoes and potatoes, our options for growing locations for those crops will be more limited this year. Not to worry, though. We'll still have double-digit numbers for tomato plants, and I'm sure you'll see more than one post in which I bitch about the damn potato hilling.

You know you would miss the hilling bitching.

Also this year, I will have a small child, which may cramp my gardening style a bit. I'm hoping that by the time the garden is in full swing, Cubby will be big enough to bring out with me and put on a blanket in the grass while I work. We'll have to see about that, though. Cubby often has his own ideas about how things should go. A little dictator, that one.

ANYWAY.

I'm not going to be starting a whole lot of seeds this year, either, as I discovered a local nursery that has a lot of really good seedlings for most of the things I want to grow. I will start some of the varieties of tomatoes we really liked last year, like the Black Krim and the Stupice. And I'll be starting some eggplant seeds in a couple of weeks. Let's hope I manage to not kill them in the cold frame this year.

Modest hopes this year, indeed.

13 comments:

Robin said...

i have not been able to stop thinking about spring since i read your post yesterday and gazed upon your lovely, lovely photo of spring flowers. it was truly what my heart needed. since then, i have thought, planned and plotted about what flowers to grow and when to start them. i'm pretty decided to begin with pansy seeds as soon as i can...every time i think of their little cheerful faces, it gives me a lift.

and after this hellish, endless winter...i need all the lift i can get.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

How black are the Black Krim? Is it all the way through or just the skin? I'm just wondering what a batch of spaghetti sauce made from them would look like.


Word verification: blyrmyo -- Name of a fictional soft drink in a never-aired science fiction show pilot episode.

Anonymous said...

My little city garden was a huge fail last year. I am going to have to switch to growing my herbs and tomatoes in pots this year (turns out our soil is rich with LEAD PAINT CHIPS, YAY). I really want to try growing strawberries.

Serial Swooper said...

Can you give a clueless suburban gardener some advice? My daffodils started coming up last week.

http://serialswooper.blogspot.com/2010/02/im-warning-you-come-out-of-that-bed-and.html

And now they're nearly snow covered again. Are they doomed? Or are bulbs used to this sort of stuff?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Yes, Swooper, bulbs are used to this stuff. You can get bad-enough weather to completely kill them, but it hasn't happened to ours in Cleveland yet.

Now, getting eaten by the damn yard rats -- aka "squirrels" -- that can wipe out your bulbs for sure.


Word verification: culme -- sad texting pickup line with an accent

Serial Swooper said...

Thank you, Drew! Much obliged.

As thank to you...

word verificaton: Vaguebooking
An intentionally vague Facebook status update, that prompts friends to ask what's going on, or is possibly a cry for help. Mary is: "wondering if it is all worth it" Mark is: "thinking that was a bad idea"

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: They're kind of a dark red with purplish-black streaks. Vaguely alarming, since it always calls to mind rot when I see the color, but OH THE FLAVOR.

S.S.: In addition, a cover of snow is actually helpful for plants if there's going to be a hard freeze. The snow acts as an insulator.

SaintTigerlily said...

I can't wait to start planting. Can't. WAIT.

Anonymous said...

Here in Minnesota, it's very lamb-like so I am sure that it's coming your way!

FinnyKnits said...

Yes! I will be growing Black Krim this year, too - so we can see how they duke it out across the country.

And while I'm scaling back from my mighty FOUR tomato plants to a measly three ;) - I still think we'll be buried.

Can't wait for winter to go out. However it decides to do so. And, yes, I realize it doesn't even snow here. I'm a pansy.

Daisy said...

Maybe Cubby will enjoy riding shotgun in a frontpack? When he's old enough, a baby swing will be great fun. I remember letting my baby watch me hang up laundry - simple pleasures, how fun. :)

MsPicketToYou said...

I wander back on to this world...

Find out X is getting married to Jake, and see this headline????

Damn girl... don't skeer me. I have this box of stuff waiting on Little Black Rockie.

Haley said...

You should get a baby sling, or one of those things where you wear him on your back, for gardening. That way, if he spontaneously learns to crawl, there's no flight risk.