Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Day of Rest

Thank God it rained last night. Not only will it be good for the tiny growing plants and soon-to-sprout seeds in the garden, but it gives me an excuse to not have to work out there today. I can't! It's too wet! Thank you, Mother Nature, for granting me a day when I don't have to feel guilty if I don't get out there to dig and plant more.

Of course, the rain also means that those evil weeds are even now plotting the coup they will stage to gain control of the garden as soon as the sun comes out, and I will have to go out there with my hoe and lop off all their heads. It's just like the French Revolution! The plants are the common people, the weeds are the aristocracy, and I am the guillotine.

Or something.

4 comments:

tami Bami Wami said...

You seem to have the french revolution on your mind. Have you been reading a book about that very subject perhaps? *g*

Alicia said...

CHOP!

Daisy said...

Do you use a shuffle hoe? I'm thinking about getting one, wondering if it's worthwhile in my small garden.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I sometimes use one in the beginning, before the ground gets too hard. They work well as long as you're diligent with the weeding. The weeds have to be pretty small for the scraping along the top to work. Most of the time my weeds have to be vigorously chopped with the regular hoe, because I'm not particularly regular with weeding.