Monday, June 28, 2010

Waving the White Flag

I am officially ceding defeat to the weeds in the garden. I was just out there picking peas and cutting some more lettuce before it bolts entirely, and I quite literally had to wade through a forest of pigweed to get to everything.

In a normal year, I'm a little more on top of the weeding situation at this time of year. Mid-July is usually the time it all goes to hell and I give up. This year, thanks to a certain little weed I'm growing on purpose, there has been much less time for weed control in the garden. I'm lucky I even got everything planted. But even though I kind of have an excuse for being somewhat lax, it still depresses me to look out there and see all those wretched weeds. To say nothing of having to fight my way through them to harvest anything.

Oh well. Pretty soon the tomatoes will start ripening, and then I won't have time to be depressed about weeds. I'll be too frantic about the tomatoes piling up on my counters and waiting for me to can them.

I'll take frantic about too many tomatoes over depressed about too many weeds any day.

6 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Pigweed is nasty. It's resistant to Roundup and completely taking over some fields. They can't keep up with it.


Word verification: retsilym -- combination hair restoration and weight loss drug

Anonymous said...

Could you "hire" a certain brother-in-law (perhaps for a couple of nice dinners) to weed for you? Mary in MN

Roger A. Post said...

The MiL's nephew might be motivated by a cash incentive, as well.

Susan said...

I haven't ever had the occasion to personally try it but I've read that you can eat pigweed/use it much like other greens. I googled it just now and there are several uses for it in the kitchen...good luck!!

Daisy said...

Word verification: vived -- synonym for lived, but lived vivaciously.

I always hope the weeds will give up, but mine never do, either.

Mayberry Magpie said...

You know what? I've only tried to grow a garden a couple of times and gave up defeated both times because of weeds. I don't get it. How do you keep out the weeds? There are at least two beautiful, spacious gardens in Mayberry (one in the fellow's front yard for Pete's sake) that I drive by every day and neither one has a nary a weed. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?