Thursday, July 15, 2010

Garden Triage

Triage is the order of the day in the garden this year. I get such a limited amount of time out there without interruption that I have a running list in my head of the absolutely necessary and the stuff that can wait. The absolutely necessary is inevitably all that gets done in the couple of hours I have to spend.

So! The absolutely necessary last night included pulling weeds (SO MANY, MANY WEEDS) from around the carrots, chard, basil, eggplants, and peppers. The areas of the garden that are not currently actually planted in anything (like around the rambling squash plants), or the areas like the corn patch in which the plants are taller than the weeds? You're on your own, kids. Sorry.

Also absolutely necessary was tying up the tomatoes and trimming some of the extreme excess foliage on the Romas and San Marzanos. Really, now. That much foliage is definitely NOT needed to produce tomatoes. Please, Romas and San Marzanos, try to curb your foliage enthusiasm.

In addition, I pulled off the flowers starting to form on the basil plants, noting that it's definitely past time to make some pesto, and discovered to my delight that there are already jalapenos on the jalapeno plants. Now if only I had some tomatoes, there could be homemade salsa once more. Hurry up, tomatoes. I'm tired of the overcooked, sludgy excuse for salsa I am forced to purchase.

I was also pleased to note that the bell peppers have small peppers on them already, the Ichiban eggplant is working on growing its second eggplant (the first was delicious), and the Ronde de Nice zucchini will probably have some usable zucchinis ready in a few days. Whee!!!

Then I harvested some more broccoli and picked blackberries, without the protection of a long-sleeved shirt. Because I was too lazy to go ALL THE WAY UPSTAIRS to get one. Bad idea. Evil blackberries and their evil thorns.

But my scratched-up arms and hands are of no consequence! I have performed surgery on the most desperate cases, saving the garden from certain death.

Or something.

7 comments:

sweetbird said...

I am jealous of your basil.

Apparently the only herbs people from central NC use are parsley and cilantro. I would kill a fool for a bunch of basil, mint, or dill right now.

Anonymous said...

I am curious as to the reason you take foliage off of your tomato plants.
We sucker ours , taking out the stems that grow in between a stem already there at the base of that stem...is that what you are talking about?
As an aside , did you know you could put the suckers in the ground , keep them well watered and you will have more tomato plants? Beth
word verification 'frapho'

a prostitute who loves her coffee

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Beth: Yes, that's what I'm talking about. And, although that's an interesting tidbit of knowledge, the LAST thing I need is more tomatoes.

FinnyKnits said...

Sleeveless blackberry picking? You may need more triage than the garden.

Brave soul, you.

Melinda said...

What Im jealous of? Your brain and wit...(In a good way) :)

Daisy said...

My basil isn't as far along as yours, but it's doing well. I've considered taking foliage off a few tomato plants; I planted a bit too close to the peppers, and my poor banana peppers think they're in the shade of the jungle.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Well, you know I've been sitting in ICU for nearly two weeks. And in my "spare time" I've been reading Michael Pollan's books (specifically "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food") and I am inspired to eat more whole foods. I already eat a lot, but if you read his books and you'll never want to eat ANYTHING out of a package again. And it makes me envious of how much you grow and how close you are to your food chain. I have herbs . . . maybe I should plant a few veggies in a small patch instead of so many flowers?