Friday, July 23, 2010

Not My Best Effort

But the best you're going to get today, because sometimes, stringing together a coherent narrative, with, like, paragraph transitions and a point is just too much work. So with no further ado:

Blackberry jelly YAY! I finally got together 5 cups of blackberry juice, after many unhappy hours sweating and swearing in the blackberry brambles. Plus a thorn that has lodged itself in my right index finger, in a most inconvenient place where it hurts every time I pick something up, or push a button, or, well, anything. But I got my 5 cups of juice! Only to find the recipe for blackberry jelly actually calls for only 3 and 3/4 cups of juice. Whoops. Oh well. I have a head start on my next batch, I guess.

And on a related note, why do I always forget how long it takes to boil the water in the canner? Why do I never remember to start the water way ahead of time, so I'm not standing around the kitchen watching the pot? Which, as we know, will never boil. (Except it does. Eventually. After FOREVER.)

Rain YAY! Nice, soaking, not-beating-down-the-plants rain. That's what we're getting this morning. Which brings with it some welcome coolness. It will also bring with it some crazy weed growth when the sun comes out again. But I won't think about that today.

Sleep YAY! Cubby has been in a . . . difficult stage. For the past couple of weeks, he decided to dispense with this whole sleeping seven or eight hours at a stretch thing, instead deeming it necessary to wake up every three hours. Or more frequently. This, as you can imagine, has not been very good for my perkiness. In fact, it's been making me more or less miserable. Nothing I tried seemed to help. And then, last night, despite no change whatsoever in routine, feedings, timing, whatever, Cubby slept from midnight to 6 this morning. It's not exactly a full night's sleep, but I WILL TAKE IT.

Weekend YAY! Not that the weekend is appreciably different from the workweek for me, but I nevertheless hope you all have a good one. Peace out, poppets!

6 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

If I felt like looking back through your archives, I'm sure I could find the one where you told how Cubby was sleeping through the night almost from the day you brought him home. If you think I'm smiling as I write this, that's just my Schadenfreudean slip showing.

Word verification: protersa -- someone paid to remove unnecessary words from documents

Anonymous said...

I just saw in the Baby Channel, which I watch in the morning with my breakfast, the confirmation that because breast milk is easy to digest, babies process it quicker and therefore are hungry more often. Does that help to have TV confirm your experience? Mary in MN

rls said...

I had to smile about you not thinking about the weeds. That's what I've been doing with my lawn for the past week. I fear I shall have to think about it soon.

FinnyKnits said...

YES! SLEEP AND RAIN!

Maybe they are connected somehow?

Meanwhile, I feel your pain on the blackberries. I LOVE having blackberries and will make a date each year to go up to my folks' and pick them, but I pick a very specific amount: only 5 cup increments. That way I know how many pies can be made with what I've picked.

20 cups = 4 pies.

I refuse to pick any more than absolutely necessary for our yearly pie allotment.

I get destroyed in the process at this rate.

Daisy said...

Growth spurt? When my babies were little, needing to be fed more often meant they were growing.

Mayberry Magpie said...

Speaking of perkiness, I've been very PERKY lately. Thanks to a new bra.

Sorry to be so indiscreet. But I haven't been, like, happy-perky. So I'll take any kind of perky I can get.

And bosom perky ain't so bad. You'll understand this when Cubby is a teenager and all that breastfeeding you did takes it gravity toll.

Just keeping it real on a Saturday morning. :-)