Friday, July 2, 2010

Physical Impossibilities

Okay, attention all you people with children: Please tell me how in the hell you managed to get through the few months when your child was too heavy to carry but wasn't walking yet. Because I'm having some serious difficulties here, and I really don't see how I'm going to make it to mobility.

Cubby seems to have broken some sort of weight barrier in the past few days that has made it seem almost literally impossible for me to carry him around anymore. I suspect it's the 18-pound marker. And he's not even five months old yet. Even assuming he's walking by nine months (which I am assuming, because the child can already stand up by himself), I still have more than four months before he can locomote on his own. And, of course, he will continue to get heavier as those months progress.

So now what? Back brace? Pony and cart? Steroids?

Help.

P.S. Do you like how Blogger has apparently decided to make it look as if I posted THREE times on Wednesday and not at all yesterday? And do you like how Blogger still won't allow me to fix this problem and re-post with the correct date and time? Yeah, me neither. Stupid Blogger.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I use a Mei Tai baby carrier on my back. My baby started standing around 9 months but is just now getting good enough at 14 months to really walk to anywhere. He's almost 22 lbs now.

Jen said...

Backpack carrier. They're great.
Playpen (pack and play, whatever) if you're going to be in one spot for a while (ie weeding a large garden).
Good luck! They only get heavier!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it has something to do with carrying the buckets of water too?
My mom told me I started walking at 8 months so let's also hope for an early Cubby locomotion.
I would think the baby carrier on your back would work. Check the local thrift shops resale shops..maybe you can find one second hand. Am sure you will get more advice today .
I am surprised he is so content in his 'chariot'. Beth

Mayberry Magpie said...

My memory is faulty but I'm pretty sure both my kids topped 20 pounds before they could walk. Kate was 10 at birth, but fortunately she walked at 9 months. Can't you just lock him in a room or something for a few more months until he walks? :-)

Alyssa said...

I agree with all of the other carrier suggestions. It can't be just any carrier though - some are MUCH more comfortable than others. In my opinion it's the only way to get anything done.

Anonymous said...

Jogging stroller with giant off road type wheels to withstand the country terrain. Try Craigslist. You need the upper end models they run smoothly and can be manueverd with one hand.

Sheila

Sophie said...

A backpack, absolutely! And for those times when you can be mostly in one place and want the baby in one place, too, get one of those "exer-saucer" things (like a stationary walker). My kids would keep me company in the kitchen in one, or in the yard while I weeded, or anywhere else I needed to accomplish something unhindered.

Soon you'll reach a new phase: you'll put the baby down, and a second later he won't be where you put him anymore! Mobility and weight just make things more and more...uh, INTERESTING! yeah, THAT'S the word I wanted...

Daisy said...

Ouch. I had a hard time with my second; he was a big guy like yours. When he's strong enough, try the backpack carrier.

Alicia said...

become a body-builder. I'm pretty sure that would solve your problem. :)

rls said...

Sophie's right...soon you will long for the days when he COULDN'T walk and talk!

inadvertent farmer said...

And then they learn to walk and you wish they would let you carry them...then they turn 3 and they are so over walking and want to be carried again. Not that I know a child like that...Kim