Saturday, July 10, 2010

Relief

Yesterday was as bad a weather day as anything else we'd had all week, which is saying something. It wasn't quite as hot, but OH MY GOD THE HUMIDITY. I literally spent the entire day damp with sweat (yum!) and chugging down water to keep hydrated.

But then, around 5 p.m., it started to rain. I was in the middle of making dinner, and the second we were done eating*, I made a break for the front porch with A. and Cubby in tow. We sat there for at least an hour, with the dogs keeping us company, watching the lightning and listening to the thunder as storm after storm moved through, bringing with it sheets of rain for the parched plants and a cool breeze that was such a blessed relief I was tempted to do a dance of thanksgiving to the rain gods.

I didn't, though. Do a dance, I mean. Instead I just sat out on my porch with my husband and my son (and the dogs), savoring the relief that Mother Nature had finally sent our way after a week of suffering.

Beats air conditioning any day.

* We could have eaten on the porch, but I try to avoid ferrying cutlery, plates, napkins, food, and baby any farther from the kitchen than is necessary.

8 comments:

Mia said...

Awesome.

You are truly blessed. Enjoy and Amen :)

Anonymous said...

Yah, you only say that because you don't have any. hee hee hee hee hee
Nice after dinner show and fireworks . Beth


word verification 'whervers'

rivers in whoville

Anonymous said...

Hunny, If I could I would send up a jar of Mississippi humidity, but I don't think I could afford the postage! Deb

Chiot's Run said...

We too enjoyed a little rain and some much cooler weather. Sadly, not enough rain to make much of a difference, I'll still be watering, but at least it will only be in the 80's while I'm doing it!

Alicia said...

You're lucky. In Texas, really hot days + rain = hurricane!

Mayberry Magpie said...

I love to watch a good storm . . . especially from the porch.

Daisy said...

I took the time this hot afternoon to water everything today: tomatoes, peas, beans, lettuce, flowers, transplanted rhubarb... all with a watering can and water from the rain barrels.

You guessed it. Cloudburst at suppertime. Well, it's a good 15 degrees cooler now. I'll take it.

FinnyKnits said...

Beautiful! I love a good summer storm. Didn't you love monsoon season in Tucson? Only way to live through summer.