Saturday, September 4, 2010

Breaking with Tradition

All of the sudden, it's very fall-ish here. It's like a switch got flipped last night (after yet another muggy, disgustingly hot day), turning on fall in the form of clouds, occasional rain drops, temperatures in the sixties, and gusty winds blowing leaves from the trees.

Thank God.

So, no matter what the calendar says about when the official start of fall is (September 23--HA), I declare this First Fall Day.

I also declare this First Year Kristin Did Not Accompany A. to The Great New York State Fair.

I KNOW.

We always go to The Great New York State Fair. It's a highlight of A.'s year. Personally, I don't get such a charge out of it. Although it's possible that that is because last year I was pregnant and the year before I was horribly hungover. So, you know, not exactly prime fair-enjoyment conditions. This year, despite A.'s excitement about bringing Cubby to experience the spectacle that is The Great New York State Fair (the fried food! the animals! THE TATTOOS!), even A. had to admit that maybe seven months old is a little too young to appreciate all the wonders to behold at the fairgrounds.

So Cubby and I got a reprieve this year, leaving A. and the MiL to take off early this morning for The Great New York State Fair by themselves. I'm pretty sure I won't get let off the hook again next year, though, so I'm going to enjoy this while I can.

Although I am kind of bummed about missing out on Friar Tuck's Belgian Fries.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

You should have gone tomorrow--the main attraction is tractor pulling. FUN.

Haley said...

Mmmm, Belgian fries. Yum.

P.S. Can you tell us how you make tomato sauce? WHen I make it I always use canned tomatoes, but whenever I try to use fresh ones, the sauce isn't very rich; it is more fruity. SInce I know you use tomatoes from your garden, do you have any ideas?

Mia said...

Oh, I know. I went last Saturday -but they just showed those fries on tv and I'm thinkin' about goin' back for a while tomorrow :) !!

FinnyKnits said...

Lucky you!

Though, being me, I probably wouldn't have been able to resist the pull of Belgian fries...

I endure the boardwalk just so I can have a hand-dipped corn dog because I'm a sick person.