Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Home Alone

A. and the MiL both had a meeting to go to last night at 7:30 p.m. in the Small City, and decided to go to dinner before the meeting. In fact, I may have even suggested this going-out-to-dinner plan, as it meant that I didn't need to worry about making dinner. For anyone but myself, that is. And Cubby. But he's pretty easy.

ANYWAY.

When left to my own devices for dinner--which is a very rare occurrence--I usually just scavenge for whatever leftovers may be at hand. We didn't happen to have much in the way of leftovers last night though, except a little German red cabbage. Delicious as it is, that isn't much of a meal. So I went with my fall-back, there's-nothing-for-dinner dinner: a potato. Scrub it up, poke some holes in it so it doesn't explode, throw it in the microwave for a few minutes, add cheese, DONE!

I really love potatoes.

So what's your fall-back dinner? Cereal? PB&J? Or do you just say screw it all and get something delivered? (Not an option for me, sadly.)

11 comments:

dognutmom said...

I have the same fall back dinner and just had it Monday night ... baked potato with some shredded cheese on it. Yum :-)

Word verification: frequens I don't get to have my fall back dinner on a very frequens basis.

Phoo-D said...

My fallback dinner is a box of Annie's White Cheddar Mac & Cheese. If I'm feeling fancy I'll mix in some cut up green beans or peas to add a 'vegetable' to dinner. Sadly delivery isn't an option here either!

Haley said...

Left to my own devices, I eat terribly. I will eat a piece of cake and call it dinner. If I do need to eat something more substantial, I fall back on the grilled cheese sandwich. Just cheddar on country bread, butter spread on the outside, and cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Alicia said...

rice, with tons of butter, cajun spices, salt, and pepper.

mmmm.

Tara said...

Fall back for me is always a wrap. Fry up some chicken, onions, shred a little lettuce, maybe a tomato if I can be bothered. Cheese (we always have cheese); sour cream if there is any. And there you have it. 1 pan, 1 plate. 1 happy tummy :)

OR if I REALLY don't feel like making anything; I may or may not have been known to eat cereal. Dry. Straight out the box.

Anonymous said...

Cream cheese, mixed with sour cream and a little veggie dip seasoning...spread on veggie crackers. Beth

word verification - medilog

splint for paul bunyan

Anonymous said...

Nachos with salsa. Or, even more sad, bits and pieces. Left to my own devices last week: handful of mixed nuts, 5 almond-stuffed olives and a piece of cheese. I'm not proud of myself....

Moi

Anonymous said...

French toast! Mary in MN

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

We always have leftovers. My wife is genetically incapable of making just enough food for one meal at a time. Her mother always makes at least twice what everyone's going to eat.

Oh, and neither one of them likes leftovers. Guess what I eat for breakfast and lunch every day?


Word verification: ouslot -- the part of the body that rests on an uncomfortable bicycle seat; eg: "After that 25-mile ride, mu ouslot was majorly sore."

Daisy said...

Eggs. If no one else needs to be fed and there are no leftovers, I'll scramble eggs or make an omelet.

FinnyKnits said...

Popcorn and a gin and tonic. Every. Single. Time.