Monday, November 1, 2010

About Those Apples

I seem to recall telling you to check back this weekend for an updated final canning tally.

OH SILLY ME.

Why I thought I might actually get through a million pounds of apples (no, that is not an exaggeration--just ask my aching hands) in less than a week, I don't know. Because I am a foolishly optimistic person, apparently.

Despite diligent labor and many, many trips to the compost with apple peels and cores, I still have a lot of apples. I don't know how many pounds (a million?), but about 3/4 of a bushel anyway. I think I might get another canner-load of applesauce done today. Then I need to start on the next canner-load. A canner-load is seven quarts, which requires me to actually make three batches of applesauce.

On the upside, I have discovered that my melted apple butter is DELICIOUS in yogurt. So I'll probably make some more of that and just freeze it. I think I should have room for a couple of quarts of that in the freezer, even though our freezer will soon be crammed to capacity with lamb.

After all of that, maybe I'll only have half a million pounds left. Progress!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about sheep...will eating apple peels hurt them?
I know they are on there way to the freezer now...but , before?
Congrats on the apple progress!

word verification - nisories
scabs on the patella
Beth

Daisy said...

Mmm, but the house will smell so good!

Haley said...

I'd be baking nightly apple pies if I were you, even if it would barely make a dent in the apple consumption. Dessert and breakfast, all in one pie.