Thursday, November 18, 2010

Independent Corroboration

My suspicions have been confirmed by outside, unbiased observers: Cubby is huge, happy, and handsome.

I don't go a lot of places with Cubby where he's examined by strangers. We go to family events where everyone is biased in our favor, to the village where everyone knows us, to the doctor where everyone is jaded from constant contact with kids. But on this trip we encountered numerous strangers who felt compelled to remark upon Cubby. Without fail, their comments were positive. Now granted, not a lot of people are going to come up to a parent to let them know their kid is a miserable pill with a funny-looking face, but we got so many comments about his size, his attractiveness, and his jolliness that I'm almost convinced I haven't been deluding myself.

No less than four complete strangers referred to him as a "tank." As did my father. This is now his new nickname. One flight attendant said he looked like a wrestler. I'm not sure if that's a compliment, but point taken. This kid is big.

On our first flight, we had a male flight attendant who I could tell was not particularly enthused about children. Not rude or anything, but none of the little smiles and cheery comments that people who like children inevitably provide when faced with a kid. But by the end of the flight, when Cubby was standing on my lap grinning at the man as he went by with the trash bag (it could have been the bag Cubby was grinning at--he does love crinkly plastic), the flight attendant stopped to let me know Cubby is a good-looking boy and so happy.

The happy comment was a very frequent one. At least a dozen people felt compelled to remark on it. And he wasn't even as happy as he normally is, due to a combination of extreme exhaustion and, on the trip out, teething. I don't have much experience with other babies, so I guess I take it for granted that he doesn't cry much, doesn't scream, smiles at anyone and everyone, bounces around and plays, and is generally a very content baby. This is, apparently, not the case for every parent.

So, in short, everyone loves Cubby, Cubby loves everyone, and I should be thanking my lucky stars every day that I was given this particular child.

Amen.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Trust me. Count your blessings, as you obviously are. My son, was not so jolly. Now my grandchildren? Angels.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I don't want to begrudge you your happiness, but there's an ugly little voice in my head screaming, "Screw her! She should suffer like the rest of us suffered. Why is she so special?"

But no, I'm happy for you. Really I am.



Word verification: fillyho -- 1. young horse who likes the stallions just a little more than is proper; 2. what you say when you first spot the largest city in Pennsylvania

Anonymous said...

I had 5. Two were happy little campers like Cubby while 2 were colicky. Older son was mobile and scooting around the room getting into everything by 3.5 months. Younger son never slept more than 20 minutes (day or night) at a time for his first 10 months. Thought I was going to loose my mind with that one. It isn't parenting it's just luck. After raising my kids I now believe babies are born with an innate personality. Mine are all adults now and they still have the basic personality they were born with. All different and all wonderful people in their own ways.

Enjoy Cubby. The old saying, they grow so fast, is true.

Sheila Z

jean said...

I think Drew said it best. You are very lucky.

Alicia said...

I think that's awesome you have a happy Cub! I hope my kids turn out like that!

Anonymous said...

So, must we call Cubby , Tank ,now?
If he won over the male flight attendant that didn't seem interested in kids.....he can be anything he wants when he grows up.
Beth

Daisy said...

Cubby the Tank - I love it!

Drew@ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Isn't that a TV show?