Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Logistics

Can I cop out today and just answer some questions? Because, frankly, my brain is a little too overwhelmed with the mental planning necessary to figure out how to put the almost-completed kitchen back together and get the stuff that doesn't get back in the kitchen out of the way so I can clean the entire downstairs so I can move the silver off the sideboard for the buffet so I can set up tables and chairs and get out napkins and tablecloths and silverware and . . .

Yeah. Just answering some questions today sounds JUST FINE THANK YOU.

So! Beth asked if we can fit 22 people in our house. Not only can we fit 22 people in our house, we can fit a hundred just in the downstairs. And have. Not that I am anxious to repeat that craziness any time soon.

The question Beth was really asking, I suspect, was can we fit 22 people for a sit-down dinner? Yes. In fact, when we hosted Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, we actually set places for 23 people, all around actual tables with actual place settings and china and everything (photos here). With all the leaves in, the dining room table seats 12, and then we set up a table running the length of the living room, plus another smaller table in the library situated between the dining room and living room. The food is on the sideboard in the dining room. It's definitely cozy, but can be done.

Jean was wondering who these 22 people may be. They are all the MiL's family. She has four siblings in the area, so add in partners, children, partners of children, and now the children's children (hi, Cubby!), and it doesn't take long to get into the twenties. Family holidays are always this large. It is the way of things here. But everyone contributes food, so the host isn't really stuck with all the cooking.

Finally, Jean wanted to know how big our turkey will be. I have no idea. One of the MiL's sisters is bringing the turkey. Sometimes we have two turkeys, brought by different people. This year we will also be serving one or two of the large trout we have in our freezer for people who don't eat or don't really like turkey.

Not that I care anything about the fish or the turkey as long as there are mashed potatoes and rolls.

And now that I have answered questions, I have to spring into action and get our house ready for the Day of Thanks. Peace out, duckies!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Nice! Have some turkey for me!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Yah, on the sit down part. Cool.
I can bring something but I think it might take me till a day after Thanksgiving to get there. ;) Just teasing.
Have a very good Thanksgiving. Thanks for blogging daily and having Cubby.....he is just the cutest and with his pack of doggies...he is one lucky little boy.