Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An Everyday Miracle

I'm wearing new jeans today.

I KNOW. How fun is THAT?

Okay, not that fun. And technically, they're not really new, as I got them at the Salvation Army. But they are new for me, and they're not at all worn-looking, so I'm calling them new.

I'm also calling them a damn miracle, because good LORD, what is UP with jeans these days?* I mean, I spent a good 45 minutes in a Real Store (that is, one in which the merchandise has presumably never been worn--except by every other person who has tried on that article of clothing--and the price tags aren't stapled on) looking for a pair of jeans. And out of probably ten pairs I tried on, they were all . . . weird. Weird pockets; weird dye patterns; weird shades of blue; weird skinny jeans that I cannot wear because I am not 16 or, um, skinny; weird "boot-cut" that looks more like bell bottoms.

FYI, jean manufacturers? Boot-cut jeans are supposed to fit over cowboy boots, not, like, mukluks. Please see Wrangler jeans for an illustration. Thank you.

ANYWAY.

After that unsatisfying experience, I went to the Salvation Army to pick up some more sweaters for Cubby and decided I might as well look at the jeans while I was there. And I found a pair of normal jeans in my size with no weirdness whatsoever. The three-dollar price tag was merely a bonus.

See? Miracle.

* I realize that any statement qualified by "these days" makes me sound like an irritable 85-year-old woman. What's your point?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! (And I'm a lot closer to 85 and a lot more cranky about the whole who forgot how to make jeans, but still gets to call them jeans thing.) I returned two pair yesterday that I had bought online. Same store, same brand, same style as I've been wearing, but oh! Let the manufacturer save a quarter of a cent by making the pockets so shallow that you can put nothing, repeat nothing in them that won't immediately fall back out. (Did I mention the cranky part?) When I leave the house, I have a wallet in one front pocket and a cell phone in the other with my keys on a belt loop with a fake carabiner clip. It's not rocket science, ok it's not fashion either, but function, dear people, function. How I miss it.

your memory challenged anonymous reader

Anonymous said...

Amen to what you both said. Beth

Rae said...

Amen! I don't understand 90% of the styles out there. I mean, who really wears these things? You have to be a runway model to pull off skinny jeans. Half of the people I see them on have no business being out in public looking like that. Lol. And most of the materials aren't "jean" material. They're so thin, they're nearly see through. I wish I could wear carhartts to work... :)

Anonymous said...

Amen to Carharts. Beth

Just Me said...

Agree completely. I want my jean comfortable and functional. Pockets large enough to, you know, hold things.

And WTF is with the ones with holes, and fake wear marks on them?

Seriously, I don't want my NEW jeans to look that way. I have jeans that look that way. They're the ones I have owned long enough to wear them out myself.

FinnyKnits said...

Yah. I've had to go from buying "bootcut" to "straight" in order to avoid the enormous swinging bell action while I walk.

And the thought of going into a Real Store makes me shudder. I'm online to the core.

Daisy said...

I have the same problems. I finally found a brand and size that works for me, and the store stopped carrying them! I started digging through the thrift store racks and found several pair and nearly jumped up and danced in the aisles!
Then another local store picked up the brand. My loyalty will definitely move in their general direction.

rls said...

Somehow I managed to throw all of my daughter's jeans in the wash at the same time, so she had to wear a pair of mine. I thought I would never hear the end of it. "Mooooom! The waist of these jeans is all the way up HERE!" (gesturing to approximately her sternum)