Monday, January 31, 2011

Is It that Time Already?

Yes! It is time for the first gardening talk of the year! WHEEE!!!

I finally managed to look through the basket of seeds to see what we have and what we need. We have a lot, thanks to a couple of years of maybe over-enthusiastic and over-ambitious seed-purchasing. But really, is there any other kind of seed-purchasing?

In fact, I think we could probably just make do with what we have. But I might still get one or two packets of seeds for varieties of tomatoes that the nearby nursery doesn't grow into handy little seedlings for me. Because what would spring be without the early onset of The Tomato Crazy?

Pretty dull, obviously.

I'm trying to give myself something of a break this year, though. I'm not going to start much from seed, instead just buying seedlings. This will save some work and worry in the early part of the season, anyway. Not a LOT of work, as all the seedlings I buy still have to be planted and mulched and tended and harvested and canned and . . . well, let's just say I won't be bored.

Except we do have quite a few packets of almost-empty and somewhat old tomato seeds that I'll probably end up starting just to use them up. Which means I'll probably still end up with two dozen tomato seedlings in the bathroom and sometime around May I'll be calling people up and pleading with them to take my extra Jet Star seedlings because if they don't I'll be forced to plant them all and then I'll be forced to harvest five million pounds of tomatoes and THEN I'll be forced to can five million pounds of tomatoes and . . .

Well. It's The Tomato Crazy. It never really stops.

4 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Lol, I'm right there with you. We are trying to get our garden planned in the next few weeks so that my mom can help plant and tend the seeds as they need to be started the week I'm due. I think I caught your tomato crazy bug last year!

Daisy said...

I'm increasing the amount of my own Tomato Crazy this year. If I lived near you, I'd take your extras! :)

Anonymous said...

I hate it when it gets to be almost 5 pm and you haven't posted...I get worried. Hope all is well? Beth

FinnyKnits said...

Sooooooo, what all seeds did you get? It's always good for me to see what other folks are planting so I don't just go out and get those same seeds because of WHAT IF NO ONE PLANTS THOSE YELLOW ZEBRA CHERRY TOMATOES???

I have my seeds standing by, ready to plant some time in April, even though our last frost is 3/1 and it's already hit 70 degrees, but I am worried based on last year's late season.

Let us bond together in our tomato crazy.