Friday, January 28, 2011

Not Phoenix

Eight years ago I was living in a shitty studio apartment in Phoenix, Arizona, where the police came to my neighbors' door with guns drawn after a "domestic disturbance" and gunshots were not at all uncommon at night.

Last night, I helped A. corral Donnie the Ram so A. could give him a shot of penicillin.

This morning, I called the Sheriff's department to go take care of a wounded deer the MiL saw on the side of the road on her way to work.

I'm a long way from that apartment in Phoenix.

Edited to add: As final, incontrovertible evidence, allow me to share that I just went outside to find Mia with one of the most gruesome assemblages of deer parts I have ever seen. It was an entire exposed rib cage, with the neck still attached. And the head. Which Mia was gnawing on avidly. Welcome to the country.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations !
Piece of earth......peace of mind.
Beth

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Any chance Mia's deer and MiL's deer were one and the same?


Word verification: ditabl -- a living room set with two tabls

Kristin @ Going Country said...

No, the MiL's deer was at least ten miles away. And the deer in our driveway has been mostly eaten, not freshly killed.

What a disgusting conversation.

Just Me said...

Personally, I'd prefer the half eaten deer carcass any day.

Daisy said...

It's real life - of a different sort. Your current lifestyle is certainly safer!

FinnyKnits said...

That is about as far from DT Phoenix living as you can get. Good on you for escaping. Deer carcass and all.