Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bar Hopping

Something weird is going on around here: I went to a bar last night again.

I KNOW. How is this possible? Well, it was mostly a coincidence of scheduling. See, this time it was a surprise birthday party for A.'s sister at the bar in the village. It's actually more of a bar and restaurant thing, and the party started at 5 p.m. Which is why we brought Cubby. Well, actually we mostly brought him because his presence was specifically requested by the guest of honor. So, Baby in a Bar: Take Two!

Cubby's first bar experience was the VFW bar, and he slept in his car seat the whole time. This time he was awake and . . . not so thrilled with the scene. Not that I can blame him. I don't really like that bar, either.

He stood for awhile on his own, before it got too crowded, staring at the sea of legs around him and the big people shouting and running about. Then he ate some bits of chicken from the chicken tenders we got for our dinner. And then he was done. He didn't like the noise; he didn't like the people who kept wanting to hold him or give him high fives or shout at him over the chaos. He lasted about an hour, and then I brought him home for a bath and bedtime.

He was fine as soon as we got home to our safe, quiet haven. So I think I can say with some certainty that Cubby is NOT a baby barfly. Thank God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have left about the same time as Cubby! Mary in MN

Daisy said...

Babies in bars - that's a Wisconsin thing, too. I'm glad you had the sense to listen to Cubby's needs and bring him home when he was ready.

Anonymous said...

Yah, I 'm with Daisy and Mary.
My mom and dad never went anywhere without us and if we couldn't go they didn't go and if one of us got tired, we were on the way home pretty quick. I imagine you guys will be like that a lot....and I grew up feeling SO loved.
We did the bar/restaurant thing Sat. night too. We had a good time. We were the only ones in the family room, all adults , only one had a beer. This place was so small the lady bartender was also the waitress/cook....weeeee. She was a good sport and we cut up with her. Hopefully making her night a little easier. And we found out as we were driving home , all 7 of us in a van, that we double tipped her....my brother gave her 10 dollars when he payed and the rest of us left 10 at the table...I bet she hopes we come back. I think the bill was about 75 dollars for all of us. Good tip for her, yes? My brother suggested in jest that we go back, someone sneak in the door and get the tip off the table back.....heeeee.