Saturday, March 12, 2011

Culture

Please pardon the late post today, but I have a good excuse: We were exposing Cubby to culture.

An Indian restaurant counts as culture, right?

See, today is dark and rainy and the whole property is a mudbath, which means neither A. nor I were very inspired to do anything particularly industrious.

Plus, A. got his truck stuck in the mud in the lane leading to the pasture, so that pretty much put him out of commission as far as chores go.

That's why we decided to have a family excursion to the Not-So-Small City, in which there are many, many different kinds of restaurants AND a large, totally awesome library. Both of which make us very happy.

So we loaded Cubby into the car and drove to the Not-So-Small City, where I directed A. to an Indian restaurant we had seen many times but never eaten in before. I was quite firm that I wanted to eat Indian food. A. didn't mind--he's a fan. Cubby, however, had never had Indian food. I figured at the very least, he would eat the naan bread, though, so it's not as if he would starve.

I should've known better. That kid ate half of the food on my plate. On both of my plates, actually, because it was a buffet, so I re-filled. He ate tandoori chicken and chicken in yogurt curry sauce, rice with peas, naan bread, okra, potato, and finished off with a kind of rice pudding.

I'm going to say that Cubby's first experience with Indian food was a positive one. To understate the case. He may never eat plain oatmeal again. I'll have to start spiking it with curry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post had me grinning ear to ear. That is really super he loved it all so much. Curry oatmeal ..a new taste sensation. Beth

Rae said...

That's awesome! Getting those taste buds trained up early. :) I grew up with two brothers that wouldn't eat ANYTHING! I remember the middle brother telling the youngest (who was about 4 or 5 at the time) that we were going to have chinese food for dinner. Well, the youngest brother went to bed. At 5pm. So he wouldn't have to eat chinese food. lol.

Daisy said...

I remember taking toddler La Petite to a seafood place. We made the mistake of letting her try fresh crab legs; we couldn't keep up! She's 24 now, and she still love crab legs.

Robin said...

That's great. I love it when people introduce their children to ::real:: food. I remember when I gave my nephew his first bite of pad thai - he loved it!

sheila said...

curry.............I'm hungry now!

Phoo-D said...

Love this! Cubby is on his way to a life of exotic taste bud fun. =)

FinnyKnits said...

Good going, mom! SoSOso nice to hear about a kid that won't just eat chicken nuggets (not that I'd ever suspect Cubby of being such a child). He clearly has very sophisticated tastebuds. Also good - that you can take him into a random restaurant without concern. I hear that's rare...he must be a great kiddo. Meanwhile, I hope YOU got enough to eat - Indian food is an addiction. Mmmmmm...