Thursday, April 14, 2011

Let Me Entertain You

I used to like rainy days. It meant a chance to stay inside and either get inside work done or, if I didn't feel like cleaning toilets--and let's face it, I usually don't--to spend a day recovering from whatever strenuous outside activity we have most recently been engaging in.

Then I had a baby.

Actually, more accurately, I should say that then I had baby who became a toddler. And, true to their name, toddlers like to, well, toddle. All the time. Everywhere. And the bigger they get, the farther they can toddle, the more they can explore, and the less satisfied they will be with four limited rooms.

So rainy days are now a challenge. Cubby does not understand why we can't be outside every waking moment, chasing sheep and playing with rocks. He doesn't really get the concepts of "wet" and "cold" that lead to discomfort. He just gets bored.

Frankly, I do too. After several hours of making cow and pig noises for the animals he finds in his little wooden barn and many games of putting the ball in the cup, then dumping it out, then putting the ball in the cup, then dumping it out, then putting the cup on my head, then letting it fall . . . well, I'm ready for Cubby's bedtime.

Yesterday was a rainy day. Today is so far sunny. Today will be an easier day.

Thank God for sunshine and spring.

4 comments:

sheila said...

that's what they invented raincoats and boots for.... take Cubby out on rainy days too. mud puddles are meant to be splashed in!

P.S. wool is warm even when soaked

Anonymous said...

Porches, barns, sheds,chicken houses....they are all meant to be explored in the rain.
New games....time to expand the horizons.
Sunshine is way better though, I agree with that.

word verification-noxyluxo-the intoxication you feel when you smell the clean hay/straw in the barn during your nap in the hay

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for sun for you. Sadly, the "rainy day blues" seems to get worse the older they get.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I feel you with the rain thing.
I always feel like it's not so much a lack of things to do or creativity in doing things outdoors when it's nasty, it's the energy it takes, the time to clean it all up and the inevitable chill I get that can only be banished with a warm shower afterward.
I'm ready for Spring, too!! Sunshine will be MOST welcome in this dreary neck of the country (NW WA).
Word Verification: obionco - what Beyonce named her Ford Bronco Truck.