Sunday, May 22, 2011

Red All Over

I planted tomatoes yesterday, which are obviously not red all over yet, as they are about two inches high and as yet fairly pathetic looking. No, I'm afraid it is my shoulders that are red all over. Or rather, my back. The back of my shoulders?

Whatever, I got a sunburn, okay? And it irritates me because I have not had a sunburn like this in several years. I'm pretty careful about wearing sunscreen and covering up with this one see-through-thin men's dress shirt I got at Salvation Army specifically to work in when it's hot and sunny.

Except I haven't yet gotten to the Small City to buy my preferred sunscreen and I thought my work shirt was packed away with my other summer clothes that I have not yet hauled out of the back bedroom, so . . . ouch.

But the tomatoes are in! All 27 of them, with actually one more to be planted in a pot near the house for more convenient harvesting.

Yes, that's right. There will be 28 tomato plants this year, assuming none of them kick it in the next couple of months. I have extra because, well, the little starter thing of Romas Andy the Plant Guy gave me had more than the six seedlings in it that I was expecting, and so, OF COURSE, I just planted the extra. Because I am Crazy, with an emphasis on Tomato.

I also put in seven or eight basil plants. Once again, however many were in the little pot I got from Andy. He's sneaky with those extra seedlings hiding there in those tiny pots. I have another whole pot of basil that I'll have to find a new home for, because there's only so much pesto we can eat. And that I have the patience to make.

Oh, and I shoved a thyme plant in the ground as well at some point yesterday, but that's not very exciting.

So! On today's agenda is planting the experimental green bean seedlings and maybe, if my muscles hold out and I don't just collapse, digging up some ground for potatoes. Which should have been in the ground like three weeks ago, but listen, I can't control Mama N. and her excessive rain, okay? All I can do is kill myself to plant everything when she gives me the chance.

And on that note, off I go to face down death in the form of a shovel and a hoe. Ta ta, duckies!

6 comments:

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Sunburn not good. You have my sympathy. And, we grow fresh homegrown tomatoes, and have a nice herb garden with ABUNDANT sweet basil because we make a fresh batch of pesto every week. When company comes over, they expect to have some. And, we make it extra spicey with more than enough garlic. YUM. Do you have aloe vera plants to use on the sunburn?

sheila said...

ouch on the sunburn. Wish my back worked still. My garden is limited to a couple of window boxes I put herbs in so I don't have to bend. I really miss digging in the dirt.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sunburn. They're not nice. Sounds like your garden is mammoth.

Phoo-D said...

Ouch! I hate sunburns. 27 tomato plants- crazy lady! You have me beat by 9 plants. =) As for the pesto, do you have a food processor? I made gigantic batches of pesto last year and froze it in meal size portions. We are still working it down and it is fantastic for a quick dinner.

Daisy said...

I accidentally bought seeds for asparagus beans. So... of course, I planted them. Now I'm worried that I planted them in the wrong place and they'll block to sun to my peppers. Gah!

FinnyKnits said...

28 tomato plants.

Wow. I just have to sit here and let that set in.

28!!! What are you crazy??

Oh wait. Yes.