Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Nerve-wracking Laundry Day

Today is a Cubby Laundry Day, which means many small articles of clothing that are even now spinning about in the washing machine and getting presentable again. But now the question: Do I hang them on the clothesline?

Here's the issue: We have a likelihood of thunderstorms today. Strong thunderstorms, the kind that, if they actually occur, will totally soak anything outside within seconds. Including laundry. If laundry gets caught in one of these storms, it will get wetter than when it was actually hung on the line.

But will the thunderstorms happen this morning? Or this afternoon? Late enough so I can hang the stuff and it will get dry--or at least mostly dry--before the storm comes? Or will I hang it out, it will get mostly dry, and then I won't be able to get it off the line before the storms hit and so it will all get soaked and have to be machine dried anyway? Do I just save myself the stress and put it right in the dryer, thereby possibly wasting the propane if we don't actually get ANY rain today, which is a possibility?

You see the problems I have. It's a pressure cooker of a situation, really.

However, the sun is currently out and the washing machine just stopped. I will take that as a sign and go hang the clothes out. I'm all about living dangerously.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the edge girl...on the edge

Mary W said...

The way our forecasts have been this year (threats, no real rain), I've been hanging our the wash even if there are gray clouds. I haven't had a mishap yet. You reminded me, I need to use my pressure cooker this week. Maybe curry.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

If you lived around here, you wouldn't have to worry! It rains ALL THE TIME, so mother nature spares you the time it takes to make up you mind.

(I actually love our weather, but would like to use our clothesline more... :-)

Melinda said...

You are such a rebel

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

I understand --- all that work and you don't want to have it ruined! I can't wait til the day we get to hang some things on a clothes line again! For now, living in the city makes it impossible since it's "against the rules." Augh!

Anonymous said...

And you are saving the planet by hanging them out. :) Beth

Anonymous said...

I am the only one in the neighborhood who still hangs clothes outside to dry. I am sure that the neighbors are amused to see me dashing out when it starts to rain. Mary in MN

Jessica said...

Maybe this is a stupid question...but hypothetically, had the clothes gotten rained on...couldn't you just have put them back in the washer on the spin cycle to get the extra water back out?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

You could. Except our clothesline is mostly under trees, so some dirt and things wash off the trees when it rains and make the laundry underneath kind of dirty again.