Friday, July 29, 2011

Deep

This morning I was wandering around outside letting the chickens out, picking some ripe tomatoes (yay!), checking for eggs in the random spot on a hay bale high in the barn that Penny the hen has decided is perfect for egg-laying. You know, morning chore stuff. And as I was wandering, I was of course cataloguing all the crap that just isn't getting done. The sumac forest and thistles that need to be cut down in the sheep pastures, the weeding, the picking up of random buckets and tools, and on and on and on.

Then, to further cause anxiety, I started to think of all the endless chores in the house that have been sliding: cleaning the bathroom, taking the shower curtain down and scrubbing it with bleach outside to get rid of the ever-present mildew, dusting, vacuuming, de-cobwebbing (totally a word, yes), sewing on the button that came off my pants, ironing . . .

Anyway. I was frustrated and starting to get annoyed. Then, when I was looking for a photo to post today, because I figured that would be better than bitching about all this crap I'm behind in (oh wait, did I just do that? my bad!), I found this photo:

Sing it with me now! Cliiimb every mountain . . .

I suspect there is some inspiring message I should take away from this, about how seemingly daunting challenges are only exciting opportunities and how our children are the best teachers, etc., etc. But mostly I just thought it was really cute. So have a photo of Cubby quite happily climbing an excessively long staircase at the museum in Kenosha, Wisconsin. And take from it what you will.

Happy Friday, poppets!

13 comments:

Sherry said...

Wonderful! A lesson here for all of us.

Phoo-D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoo-D said...

I love the perspective of the photo. You can just imagine what it must look like from his point of view!

My rule of thumb is to tackle whatever annoys me the most first and it all gets easier from there.

Anonymous said...

Make that boy an outfit out of old towels and send him exploring under beds.....that should save you a little housekeeping time. lol

Anonymous said...

I generally toss my shower curtain in with a load of towels in my automatic washer. Works well here.

Joellen said...

Love the picture of Cubby!

I also wash my shower curtain with 3 or 4 white towels. Just use the usual amount of soap and bleach. It is sure easier than washing it by hand. You can also put it in the dryer for about a minute, just until it gets hot and all of the wrinkles will come out.

Sherry said...

Just had to come back and look at that picture of Cubby again! From his vantage point, that stairway must look like it goes up and up forever!!!

Charade said...

That's quite a staircase, and he's undaunted.

I'm glad to learn you can wash a shower curtain in the washing machine with towels. I've always used the bathtub and elbow grease, but never again! :)

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat people said...

The sheep will eat roses, but won't eat sumac and thistles? Bastards.


Word verification: vicaving -- enjoying the thrill of spelunking by watching it on TV.

Daisy said...

Sweet as can be. Cubby is your top priority. Until he can help with chores, let things go.

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

As for the shower curtain, I do the same as above...just put it in a gentle cycle in the washing machine with a tad bit of bleach (if it is a liner or plastic). As for the kiddo -- I have two grown daughters and all I can say is...there are NO shortcuts or easy ways to get thru these stages, all we can do is stay busy, PRAY and always live exhausted! haha

Domestic Dilettante said...

We wash our shower curtains (the plastic liners) in the washing machine. Works great. They come out a little wrinkled, but who cares?

tu mere said...

You made me laugh with the photo and comment. You a very funny lady!