Friday, July 22, 2011

Ignoring the Obvious

It seems that over half the country today is on some kind of alert for high temperatures. So let's not go into how I tossed in our 95-degree bedroom for hours last night before finally giving up and sleeping for a few hours on the couch downstairs, and then stumbling back upstairs to our torture chamber for a couple of hours before Cubby woke up.

That's no fun.

Instead let's talk about my Big Outing last night. Capitalized because (wait for it . . .) I was ALL BY MYSELF.

I KNOW.

I had informed A. earlier in the week that the final Harry Potter movie was in the theaters and BY GOD, I was going to see it in the theater this time.

When the previous one came out last November, I had probably three abortive attempts to get to the theater to see it, involving snowstorms and Cubby-storms and incredible exhaustion. And then it was out of the theater and I had to wait for it to come out on DVD.

There were a lot fewer obstacles this time, as it's definitely not winter and I no longer have to be present to put Cubby to bed. So yesterday at 5 p.m., I left Cubby in the combined care of his father, grandmother, and great-grandmother and I took off for the Small City.

I had intended to do some errands before the movie, but it was too damned hot (NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT) and this was my Big Outing, after all. So instead I went to a pub and sat at the bar and drank an apricot wheat beer. And then I ate a Reuben sandwich with steak fries. While I read my book.

It was so unbelievably wonderful, I can't even tell you.

And then I went to the movie, which was also pretty great.

Then I got out of the theater at 9 p.m. and the dashboard thermometer in the Awesome Subaru read 93 degrees. But since we're not talking about that, we'll just end here with my Reuben sandwich and steak fries and beer and much-anticipated movie in a theater. I don't require much, obviously.

Happy Friday, duckies!

13 comments:

tu mere said...

Sounds absolutely fantastic! Just the kind of outing that recharges the batteries. Being able to do exactly what you feel like, even for just a few hours, that's something you never get to do with Cubby and your never ending chores. Of course, we all know Cubby and what you accomplish is totally worth it, but what a treat. Great you decided to do it; great that the family stepped up to fill in.

sheila said...

Doesn't get much better. Any place that has working AC is a treat in this weather. AC plus beer is a double the fun.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. We all need something like that once in a while. And it was so darn HOT (but we're not talking abot that).

jive turkey said...

Mouth is watering for your Meal of Freedom. A frosty beer in hot weather is one of life's best perks.

Toni said...

A few child free hours AND a fun beer? Sign me up! Glad you got to enjoy some quality time for yourself. A few years ago I would have been horrified to go to somewhere and eat by myself. Now, three kids later, I would jump at the chance!

Alicia said...

Nice.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Cubby's caregivers had a good time too! Mary in MN

Daisy said...

That would work for me! Simple pleasures in parenting. Taking a child-free break is rare and we appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like heaven to me..... with air conditioning...YES ! Love a reuben sandwich . Beth

Daisy said...

By the way - thanks for the shallot advice! This is my first year planting them. I had no clue. I'm still not certain the soil was suitable; it's awfully hard with a lot of clay.

rls said...

So what did you think of the movie? I liked the Snape death scene and the memory montage (even though they took some liberties) but was extremely disappointed by the climactic Harry/Voldemort duel.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Agreed. The final duel was disappointing. It was supposed to be this big, public battle. Lame.

Overall, I thought they did pretty well with this movie. Certainly a lot better than the last one. Neville was probably my favorite part of this movie. And the scenes showing the baby Harry in his crib of course reduced me to tears, because it's a BABY. I have a BABY. What if Voldemort killed ME and MY baby was standing all alone in his crib?

Not entirely rational, perhaps, but such is motherhood.

FinnyKnits said...

I love those Alone Dates. Sitting in a restaurant, reading a book and drinking a cocktail, having a nice dinner with no one to distract you from the words on the page...it's nice. And you OBVIOUSLY deserve it. Plus, a movie? You're an excellent date.