Saturday, August 20, 2011

Discoveries

I did indeed discover a cute little pullet egg in the chick cottage yesterday afternoon. Too bad there were six hens in there, so it's impossible to know who the star hen is. But the egg laying has begun! Soon we will no longer have to buy our eggs. Awesome.

I also discovered last night that fresh peaches make for one yummy cocktail. We have a lot of fresh peaches around right now, as the MiL has been buying them by the bushel for canning (20 quarts so far), freezing, and pie-making. We were out of lemons and limes last night, both of which are crucial to my preferred cocktails (gin and tonics, Sidecars, gimlets, etc.). But we did have peaches. What happens when you squeeze some fresh peach juice into vodka and a little simple syrup? DELICIOUSNESS, that's what happens.

Incidentally, if you ever come across a variety of peach called Jon Boy, buy them. A lot of them. Not just because of the amusing Waltons name, but because they are, hands down, the best variety of peach we have ever had.

So those were my discoveries yesterday: eggs and peach cocktails. That pretty much sums up my weird but satisfying life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't go wrong with either fresh eggs or ripe peaches...pass me one of those cocktails.

elsie said...

In that vein, I just started some peach infused vodka, just peel and squash up a bunch of peaches and pour vodka on top and let them sit for 3+ weeks. Then strain. LOVELY with a little simple syrup, a squeeze of lemon and some seltzer over ice.

Daisy said...

I skipped buying peaches this morning because I have such a busy week ahead. I was afraid they'd rot before I could make them into jam or ice cream.

sheila said...

sliced peaches soaked in sweet wine is pretty good too