Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Must Be Canning Season

And how do we know this? Because it was a pleasant 74 degrees outside last night, but a steamy 85 degrees in my kitchen. Firing up all four burners on the stove at once will do that.

So! Let's talk canning! Last night was a peach night, which is not all that strange, since I can peaches every year. But this year, I decided to try something different: reusable jar lids.

I've never used these before, and neither has the MiL, so it's just an experiment. I got just a dozen of these, in the wide-mouthed size. It's just the lid part; the metal rings that are used with them are the standard rings. They're easy to use, only requiring a bit of loosening before going into the canner--to vent, the package says--and then tightening when the jars are taken out. All the jars appear to have sealed, which is more than I can say for all of the standard jar lids I used last year. I don't really know how long these reusable lids will last, since I must assume the plastic will eventually crack or the rubber rings will disintegrate over time. We shall see.

Another fun note from canning this year, concerning weeds. Weeds and canning? Whatever could the connection be? Well! Let me tell you! Boiling water will kill weeds. And what do I have several gallons of after I'm done processing jars in a canner or skinning peaches or blanching greens for freezing? Yup. Boiling water.

Almost all the annoying weeds that grow up in the cracks between the stones on the north patio outside the kitchen door have been eliminated this year courtesy of my otherwise useless boiling water. I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out.

You just have to be careful not to dump it on your toes. Not that I have done this.*

More peaches tonight, then bread and butter pickles with some pickling cucumbers the MiL broke down and bought because STILL no cucumbers on our vines. And then? The tomatoes are ramping up.

Brace yourselves. The Crazy is coming.

* I have totally done this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, basically you'll be busy for a while?

Daisy said...

I know the feeling! Making pickles last weekend, my tiny kitchen was really hot and humid. The rest of the house was comfortable and breezy. Me? Sweat city.

It's all worth it.

Anonymous said...

Husband planted pickling cucumbers(FANCIPAK) (2nd planting) they started bearing 35 days after planted(the pkg says 53 days from germination. So you could still do it. :)
Gonna be a pretty sight with all your shelves filled with goodies again this year. Glad it cooled off a bit for canning...it has cooled off here and should last about a week before we see the heat and humidity crud once again...it is glorious today though. Beth

word verification - ghanquer

the want of a horse to go
'gee hanker'

FinnyKnits said...

So, what's the likelihood of me being able to get that giant heavy canner out to the weeds without spilling it all over myself? AKA - what's your track record so far?

I usually wait for it to cool and then I water the potted plants with it, since otherwise they'll die from neglect.

So, I guess I must choose between sustaining otherwise doomed plants or killing otherwise prolific weeds.

It's a conundrum.