Monday, August 29, 2011

You Love Red Cabbage, Ralphie

On Friday I harvested a few of our purple cabbages, which have actually done pretty well despite the garden-killing weather in July. The best use for purple cabbages, of course, is German red cabbage with apples. Slightly sweet and vinegary and YUM. Especially with kielbasa. Best winter dinner ever.

So I cut up all those cabbages and put them in my big pot with the onions and apples and vinegar and sugar and spices and . . . then I attempted to stir it. Yeah. Three cut-up cabbages fills my pot pretty much to the brim. It's kind of hard to stir it when it slops over the sides every time I put a spoon in there. But I managed, and eventually it cooked down to a manageable level.*

While I was stirring this enormous pot of purple cabbage, however, I couldn't help but think of the scene in A Christmas Story when Ralphie takes the lid off a gigantic pot on the stove and disgustedly stirs around a vat of the very same red cabbage. And behold, I found a clip on YouTube. Except not of him actually stirring it, but of the exchange between him and his mother after the stirring.
Enjoy the clip, poppets, and have a happy Monday.

* And then I froze it, because I think it tastes over-cooked and burned when it's canned. We have five quarts of German cabbage in the freezer now. YAY!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy and always good to have meals in the freezer. Beth

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My H quotes that movie all the time and I have to admit that I've never seen it. I've never seen E.T. either. Or the Wizard of Oz.
Red cabbage and apples, huh? Sounds like something that no one would try until it's foisted on them by someone and then when they do try it, they love it.
I might have to give that one a chance.