Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Want Someone To Blame

I canned the last of the peaches last night, and the worst happened. "The worst" being, of course, that a jar broke in the water bath. Nasty waterlogged peaches floating in the water, broken glass to deal with, and all that wasted work (and peaches).

This is actually the second jar of peaches I've had break on me in the canner. Last year I had problems with the lids not sealing. This year I haven't had a single lid failure, but now the jars have it in for me. The glass in the jars can get fatigued and prone to breaking over the years, and Lord knows we have some seriously old jars hanging around. Which means I can't really blame the Ball Company for this one.

Still mad, though. And now I only have 24 quarts of peaches instead of an obviously much better 26.

This had better not happen with the tomatoes, or there will be blood. Or at least some cussing.

6 comments:

Tami said...

Yuck...my sympathies. Been there, done that. I've had 1 lid fail and 1 jar break this year so I consider myself lucky.

Sherry said...

Ugh! What a mess! Back in the days when I did canning (never to the extent you do!), I never had that happen.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking the rings may be on a little too tight. All those muscles you have ..you don't know your own strength. :) Beth

Anonymous said...

Since you have the other freezer. You could freeze more things now. It is so much easier and cooler than canning. Beth

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I have not had a jar break yet. But now that I said that, it'll happen this weekend.

Good luck with the toms. Just tell them ahead of time that you're not gonna take any guff from them and they should can up nicely.

FinnyKnits said...

Uh, yeah. Last year I lost a precious jar of pickles after the effing jar broke on the way out of the canner.

Whole bottom just fell out of it. AND IT WAS A NEW JAR.

Ball is slacking off...