Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Last Weekend of Summer

And what a summer weekend it is. Summer in the hot, sweaty sense. It was about 85 degrees yesterday with 75 percent humidity. So of course I decided I just had to simmer salsa on the stove for an hour, and then pressure can it. And since I was already mostly soaked with sweat and couldn't get much hotter without actually bursting into flames, I figured I might as well blanch and cut the kernels off of 18 cobs of corn.

Because what my kitchen really needed was some more heat and steam to add to the pleasant atmosphere.

Oh, and hey! Speaking of corn! It's become something of a tradition for me to point you to this post (complete with an entirely-too-phallic photo) I did a few years ago about how to cut corn off the cob without the corn getting all over the damn kitchen. I don't know how many people have linked to that post and shown their own corn+bundt pan experiences, but it certainly seems as if this little bit of knowledge is my legacy to the online world.

I suppose there are worse things to be known for.

Today is going to be another hot and steamy one, so I think it's the perfect day to go pick dozens of pears off the MiL's sister's exuberant pear tree. Because what is a weekend day for the family Blackrock without manual labor? An incomplete day, obviously.

Peace out. The pears are calling.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Snicker. And I didn't have the guts to post a phallic photo of my own.

FinnyKnits said...

Uh, totally used this little nugget of yours yesterday as we dispatched the leftover grilled corn from the Labor Day BBQ festivities. It's truly awesome.

And now the bundt pan gets a very warm reception from Bubba because it means we're having awesome corn salads all week long.