Thursday, December 22, 2011

Of Trees and Travel

Someone--an anonymous someone--asked yesterday about our tree.  I wasn't aware there was any interest in our tree.  I shan't be posting a picture of it, because A) I think everyone knows what a Christmas tree looks like, correct?  And B) It's a Toddler Tree.

A Toddler Tree, for those who don't know, is a tree on which the only breakable ornaments are at the very top.  This means that the top two feet of our tree are quite crowded with the shiny, festive, and extremely fragile glass ornaments.  The remaining four feet of tree on the bottom hosts a somewhat sad and sparse collection of crocheted elves and felt things.  It looks kind of odd.  It's certainly necessary, however, as no toddler is to be trusted around breakable ornaments, and Cubby can't be trusted around the tree itself.  He's not even allowed to get close to it, because he likes to smack it with his hand.  He thinks this is fun.  

He is a, ahem, high-spirited child.  I'll be glad when I can take the tree away and remove such a source of constant temptation and tension.

First, though, we shall be removing him from the tree by taking him to my sister's house in the Washington, D.C. area for the actual holiday.  We're leaving early tomorrow morning and returning on my birthday.*

What?  You don't know when my birthday is?  FOR SHAME.  It's the 27th.  Yes, two days after Christmas.  And yes, you should feel sorry for me.  Having a birthday that soon after Christmas is kind of a drag.

But anyway!  Before my birthday celebration in the car, we have some Christmas celebrating to do with my sister's family.  I bet they don't have a Toddler Tree. 

Wish me luck.  And if I don't talk to you before then, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

* I don't know if I'll be posting anything in those five days, but rest assured, you'll be in my heart if not on my computer screen.  Or something.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

Have a great trip. Happy Birthday !!
early. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!!!

Sister’s Sailor said...

Oh indeed, our tree is not a toddler tree......it is a cat and dog tree!

What is that you may ask? Well your sister's cat loves to play with the bottom ornaments and the tree itself. Then there is my dog that sees it as indoor plumbing and we will leave it at that!

So how do you make it a cat and dog tree???? You put plastic ornaments on the bottom of it for the cat and you have a fence around it for the dog. Plus if keeps 10yr olds from constantly checking the "inventory," but that is a side benefit.

Have a safe drive down!

Anonymous said...

The toddler years we just had lights and a star on the tree and it was a lightweight artificial one in case it was pulled over.
The Merriest of Christmas's to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Or something to you , too. Beth ;)

Joellen said...

Have a safe trip, a very merry Christmas, and a happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time but rarely ever comment. Love you blog and wanted to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Tami Bami Wami said...

hey sorry i won't see you in the washington, deecee area as i'll be in Texas. bummer.

Phoo-D said...

Enjoy the trip and have a wonderful birthday!

Daisy said...

My parents tell the story of our toddler tree. Apparently they put the tree in the playpen to keep it out of my reach! I was a relatively calm toddler, too. I can imagine your tree!