Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Here I Go Again On My Own

Well, not entirely on my own.  The last time I took a trip on my own, it was REALLY on my own.  No husband, no son, nothing but me and my roller bag.  This time it's nothing but me, my roller bag, a thousand other pieces of overloaded luggage, and Cubby.

Note the conspicuous absence of A. from this scenario.  And then pray for me as I transport myself and Cubby cross-country on two different airplanes to get to Arizona.

This odyssey will be happening tomorrow.  Since A. really couldn't take a lot of time off from work around the time of my sister's wedding, I knew that unless I wanted to take a paltry four-day trip as a family--which is pretty ridiculous, considering the time, hassle, and expense of traveling that far--Cubby and I would be at least traveling out there alone.  And then I figured that if I was going to all the trouble of flying by myself with a toddler (while pregnant, and still kind of hobbly from back pain that will probably not be helped by those comfy airplane seats), then dammit, I was going to make it count.  So Cubby and I are going out a week and a half before the wedding, in order to get settled before the wedding festivities begin.  And, you know, play outside in a place that has no mud or clouds or any other of the unpleasantness that is upstate New York in late winter.

A. will be joining us the day before the wedding, and we'll all be flying home together the Monday following the wedding.  Which means I just have to get out there by myself.  With Cubby.  And Precious Cargo.  And lest you think I will have forgotten all about you in the post-traumatic stress induced by such a journey (me?  overdramatic?  whatever do you mean?), let me assure you that I will certainly be checking in with you in the next week or so, if only to let you in on the nature of Precious Cargo's precious bits.

Yes, we found out the sex yesterday.  But I'm not going to tell you yet (MEAN), because this is the one time I will have the pleasure of getting to tell my family some momentous news face-to-face.  This doesn't happen much when there's a three-thousand-mile distance between family members, so you're just going to have to wait until they know.  But soon we will end the suspense.  Will we add a precious Blackrock princess to the human menagerie, or will Cubby be granted a little brother to torment until the end of days?

Tune in to find out!  And send some positive vibes my way tomorrow, okay?  I'll probably need them.

8 comments:

Sherry said...

I just have a gut feeling it is a GIRL! Don't know why. But all the really matters is that you have a healthy, happy baby.

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Best traveling luck ever! I think you should post a tummy pic and let us guess who's in there while you're traveling. :)

Anonymous said...

Travel tip for toddlers: go buy some really inexpensive toys at the store. New coloring books, cars, blocks, etc. Wrap them like presents. When he needs distracting, let him pick a present. He'll love it, and it'll buy you 10 minutes of time.

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip--Kristin, Cubby, and PC! Mary in MN

Glenda in Co said...

Or is it TWINS!???

: )

Have a great trip. Enjoy the warmer weather, I am headed from Denver to Nashville this week and am very excited about the possibility of it being over 60....winter is getting long here too.

FinnyKnits said...

Holy safe travels, woman!

I have no gut feelings with regard to the baby's gender, but what does Cubby think? Did he register his guess before you found out?

sheila said...

can't wait to find out.... but I think it's a girl

safe flight... I know it won't be comfortable

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

You are made out of steal, woman!

Have a great trip and I hope it is warm and sunny at your sisters.

(I think it's a girl, too.)